Detecting Drive Space Changes.

RudeboyX
Sep 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Hi All

I have created several zoom widgets. 1x battery bar, 1x RAM bar and 3x
drive space bars (data (root),sdcard"Internal",emmc"external")

to refresh my battery bar I use a simple context "battery changed". Works
perfectly
to remresh my RAM bar I use "Variable set" %WIN = Nova launcher. Works as I
need. (RAM chages too frequently to use anything else.)
my issue is with the drive space widgets. i used to use the same context as
my RAM bar but since storage space rarley changes I wanted something a
little more acurate especialy since the task runs shell commands and quite
a few variable splits,find/replace etc.

I have since tried using "file modified" as the context. I have tried the
below as the file name in the "file modified" option

*to update my external card*
/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/external.db
or
/mnt/emmc

*to update my internal card and root data folder*
/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db
or
/mnt/sdcard

The thing is when browsing with tasker, it can't see inside the "/data"
directory (i have to set the db file location manualy). I can see in my
file manager that the .db files in there do indeed update when ever I make
a file change to the drives but tasker cant detect it (tasker can see
inside several other folders of my root drive, so why not this one?). and
when setting the /mnt/xxx directory, tasker doesnt detect any changes so I
asume it will only detect a file (not a folder).

So, does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong or is there some kind
of bug i've stumbled upon here? Are there any alternatives you can suggest?

I look forwards to any response

Regards
RBX
reply

  • Pent at Sep 19, 2012 at 6:09 am

    The thing is when browsing with tasker, it can't see inside the "/data"
    directory (i have to set the db file location manualy). I can see in my
    file manager that the .db files in there do indeed update when ever I make
    a file change to the drives
    Probably no read permissions. Do you have a custom ROM and a root-
    enabled file manager ?

    Pent
  • RudeboyX at Sep 19, 2012 at 9:27 am
    Yes,I Do. The "/data" folder currently has has "rwxrwx--x" as its
    permissions.

    I have changed the permissions to "rwxrwxr-x" for the "/data" folder and
    every folder to the .db files and the db files themselves
    I can now select the db files through tasker but tasker still doesn't
    detect the change. (activated run log and copied a large file on my
    external card to another place on the external card. The .db file gets
    updated but the size doesnt change enough to register a file size change
    but the date modified does change. Now if I look at the run log, the
    profile didn't activate.) Does tasker look for a change in file size or at
    the date modified? any ideas why this still isnt working?

    also pent, can you confirm that the "file modified" context can only
    monitor file changes and not folder changes?

    Thanks for the assistance
    RBX
  • RudeboyX at Sep 25, 2012 at 11:09 am
    bump ;-)
[...]

  • RudeboyX at Oct 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm
    Any chance of a reply on this pent.

    I have recently wiped and upgraded my ROM to the final stable release and
    freshly installed tasker. In general, this has resolved a lot of my tasker
    issues but detecting file changes on the "external.db" and "internal.db"
    files still doesn't work.

    root/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/external.db
    root/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db

    All permissions are correct and tasker can see the files when selecting
    them as the context. I can confirm the files in question do get updated but
    tasker just doesn't detect it.

    Regards
    RBX
  • RudeboyX at Oct 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm
    As Pent requested........

    Bumperty Bump........

    RBX
  • Pent at Oct 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

    but the date modified does change. Now if I look at the run log, the
    profile didn't activate.) Does tasker look for a change in file size or at
    the date modified? any ideas why this still isnt working?
    Whatever Android interprets as 'file changed'. There is no
    differentiation that I can remember.

    Possibly Android just doesn't signal file changes in the partition you
    are looking.
    also pent, can you confirm that the "file modified" context can only
    monitor file changes and not folder changes?
    I can't, it seems to vary by Android version. In principle, it should
    be able to.

    Pent
  • RudeboyX at Oct 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm
    OK thanks

    For anyone using Android AOKP ICS
    1. Folder monitoring doesnt work (not sure if it works under any android
    version)
    2. File modified/opened/cosed etc doesnt seem to work for items on the root
    drive, no matter what permissions you have.

    Pent, are there any alternative ways of detecting whether the internal SD
    or external SD has had any changes (files added / modified/deleted etc)?

    I need it for my zoom widget which currently I have set as "IF Win ~ Nova
    Launcher" but this obviously is over kill for a widget that realisitically
    only needs updating once in a blue moon when I've taken a photo or uploaded
    some music.

    Thanks again
    Scott

    but the date modified does change. Now if I look at the run log, the
    profile didn't activate.) Does tasker look for a change in file size or at
    the date modified? any ideas why this still isnt working?
    Whatever Android interprets as 'file changed'. There is no
    differentiation that I can remember.

    Possibly Android just doesn't signal file changes in the partition you
    are looking.
    also pent, can you confirm that the "file modified" context can only
    monitor file changes and not folder changes?
    I can't, it seems to vary by Android version. In principle, it should
    be able to.

    Pent

RudeboyX: 6 posts Pent: 2 posts