[Scrum] Customer who wants to make change request and wants to be more involved in development

WildMind
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Hi,

I am new to Scrum and implementing Scrum on our current project. We have a
product owner who wants to be more involved in the development process.
After the first Sprint and demo, the product owner wants to make numerous
change requests to the Sprint 1 modules. Because of our tight schedule, we
logged her changed requests as work items and get to them after all the
scheduled Sprints are completed. In the past, I worked on X-Treme
Programming with paired programming. In that project, we had to work on
change requests to get the Sprint modules to be approved and accepted. In
this Scrum, we don't have the time to work
on the product owner's change requests upon receiving them. We had to
proceed to the next Sprint to stay on schedule.

Is this the correct approach using Scrum?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any experienced advice.

reply

Search Discussions

1 response

  • John Sextro at Jan 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    The product owner decides what to work on next. It sounds like someone
    (maybe it's your product owner) has already mapped out the next and future
    sprints and has you committed to deliverables in those sprints. If the
    product owner wants to exchange new stories for previously planned stories
    that is the product owner's prerogative, as long as the sprint hasn't
    started yet (and based on your description the product owner wants to make
    changes after the demo so the next sprint shouldn't have started yet). The
    product owner needs to realize that s/he won't be able to get all the new
    stories done without exchanging out other stories of similar size and
    governed by the teams' velocity and the story points planned for the
    sprint.

    If you have a longer delivery plan I suggest you blow it up and allow the
    product owner to drive the order in which stories are delivered. The
    product owner needs to be aware that s/he is responsible for determining
    the order of feature delivery and is responsible for ensuring that this
    ordering aligns with the business needs.

    Regards,
    John Sextro

    Subscribe to This Agile Life Podcast <http://www.thisagilelife.com>
    <> Subscribe