I want to automate the installation of redis as windows service and also
for sentinel.

I found out that redis can now be installed as windows service using this
command ---> redis-server --service-install –service-name redisService1
–port 10001

what I am really after is, that is there a command to install redis
sentinel as a windows service ? the reason is that I dont want to run
command prompts on my production servers. more over windows services are
much better than running user tasks (in this case) running sentinel as part
of command prompts.

  • Jonathan Pickett at Jul 15, 2014 at 11:28 am
    Hi Rushdeep,

    Everything other than the *--service-install* and -*-service-name*
    arguments are passed to the instance of Redis that is launched as a
    service. You could use the following command line to install a sentinel
    instance as a service:

         *redis-server --service-install --service-name Sentinel1
    sentinel.1.conf --sentinel*

    In this case the arguments passed to the service instance will be "*sentinel.1.conf
    --sentinel*".

    -- Jonathan (MSOPENTECH)

    I want to automate the installation of redis as windows service and also
    for sentinel.

    I found out that redis can now be installed as windows service using this
    command ---> redis-server --service-install –service-name redisService1
    –port 10001

    what I am really after is, that is there a command to install redis
    sentinel as a windows service ? the reason is that I dont want to run
    command prompts on my production servers. more over windows services are
    much better than running user tasks (in this case) running sentinel as part
    of command prompts.
  • Abhijit damle at Jun 11, 2015 at 5:33 am
    Hi Jonathan,

                    I am using MSOPENTECH Redis with 1 master and 2 slaves on
    windows 2012 server machines. On each machine I run redis-server.exe as
    Windows service as Redis server and as sentinel. if there is problem with
    master I can see one of the slave being promoted as master. Any idea how my
    application will come to know of this switch over? I am using
    Servicestack.redis c# client api. Previously I was using solution mentioned
    on this link
    <<http://www.codedisqus.com/CJVkUPeVgU/getting-redis-master-address-from-sentinel-c.html>>
    but it has stopped working. Any code sample would be helpful.
[...]

  • Newguyredis at Dec 10, 2015 at 12:07 pm
    I'm new to Redis, I'm trying configure Redis environment for
    high-availablity as below,

    Machine 1 : Redis Master & a Sentinel (monitoring Redis master)
    Machine 2 : Redis Slave & a Sentinel (monitoring Redis master)
    Machine 3 : Redis Slave & a Sentinel (monitoring Redis master)

    From application client (StackExchange.Redis), I'm able to connect Redis
    Master with below config

    <redisCacheClient allowAdmin="true" ssl="false" connectTimeout="5000"
    database="0">
    <hosts>
    <add host="<Machine 1_IP>" cachePort="6379" />
    </hosts>

    Now, When my Machine 1 goes down, Sentinels switches the master to either
    Machine 2 or Machine 3.

    1. How will my Application client know that Redis master has been switched?
    2. Should I provide all Redis-server IP in Application client's app.config
    section?

    Please advise.

    Thanks.
[...]

  • Yatin Likhite at Oct 23, 2015 at 1:52 pm
    Hello Jonathan,

    I tried the above command mentioned by you:

    *redis-server --service-install --service-name Sentinel1 sentinel.1.conf
    --sentinel*Though, it keeps on throwing error: "Invalid argument during
    startup: unknown conf file parameter :"

    Not sure what needs to be done to install Sentinel for Windows Redis. and
    the essential settings to be kept under sentinel.1.conf. Could you please
    elaborate on the same.

    Thanks,
    Yatin Likhite