[Neo4j] auto indexing NEVER works

Antonio Mignolli
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Hi folks, I'm playing with cineasts for better understanding neo4j.
I'm under Debian 7, neo4j 1.8.1, openjdk 1.6.0_24.

No luck with auto indexing.

I did everything needed:
in neo4j.properties:

# Enable auto-indexing for nodes, default is false
node_auto_indexing=true

# The node property keys to be auto-indexed, if enabled
#node_keys_indexable=name,age
node_keys_indexable=name

neo4j-sh (0)$ index --create node_auto_index -t Node

Is the name node_auto_index mandatory?

After that I tried
start f=node:node_auto_index('name:Tom') return f;

in many flavours, with wildcards, with exact names,
but always 0 rows.

What am I missing?
Thanks.

reply

  • Mattias Persson at Feb 23, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    The current auto indexes doesn't index existing data when created/enabled.
    Property automatic indexing will started to be addressed in neo4j 2.0.

    Hi folks, I'm playing with cineasts for better understanding neo4j.
    I'm under Debian 7, neo4j 1.8.1, openjdk 1.6.0_24.

    No luck with auto indexing.

    I did everything needed:
    in neo4j.properties:

    # Enable auto-indexing for nodes, default is false
    node_auto_indexing=true

    # The node property keys to be auto-indexed, if enabled
    #node_keys_indexable=name,age
    node_keys_indexable=name

    neo4j-sh (0)$ index --create node_auto_index -t Node

    Is the name node_auto_index mandatory?

    After that I tried
    start f=node:node_auto_index('name:Tom') return f;

    in many flavours, with wildcards, with exact names,
    but always 0 rows.

    What am I missing?
    Thanks.

    Mattias Persson, [mattias@neotechnology.com]
    Hacker, Neo Technology
    www.neotechnology.com

  • Peter Neubauer at Feb 25, 2013 at 8:25 am
    Antonio,
    for the current autoindexing to pick up existing data, you need to run an
    update on the properties, e.g. name by updating all nodes with
    name-properties, something like

    http://console.neo4j.org/r/pwdfpn

    start n =node(*)
    where n.name! <> null
    with n as named
    set named.name = named.name
    return named;

    /peter

    Cheers,

    /peter neubauer

    G: neubauer.peter
    S: peter.neubauer
    P: +46 704 106975
    L: http://www.linkedin.com/in/neubauer
    T: @peterneubauer

    Neo4j 1.8 GA -
    http://www.dzone.com/links/neo4j_18_release_fluent_graph_literacy.html

    Hi folks, I'm playing with cineasts for better understanding neo4j.
    I'm under Debian 7, neo4j 1.8.1, openjdk 1.6.0_24.

    No luck with auto indexing.

    I did everything needed:
    in neo4j.properties:

    # Enable auto-indexing for nodes, default is false
    node_auto_indexing=true

    # The node property keys to be auto-indexed, if enabled
    #node_keys_indexable=name,age
    node_keys_indexable=name

    neo4j-sh (0)$ index --create node_auto_index -t Node

    Is the name node_auto_index mandatory?

    After that I tried
    start f=node:node_auto_index('name:Tom') return f;

    in many flavours, with wildcards, with exact names,
    but always 0 rows.

    What am I missing?
    Thanks.

  • Antonio Mignolli at Feb 25, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    Hi Peter, thanks, but it's not working yet.
    I ran your script, but still I could'n find new nodes,
    created by myself. All I can see is the original database.
    Seems like I have to recreate indexes every time I insert a node?
    :) Please tell me it's not true.
    Even restarting neo4j server produced no effects.

    (I inserted a new Actor and a new movie, so I updated both the property "title"
    and "name" as you suggested).

    A question: why did you use
    "with n as named" instead of setting n.name directly?

    On 25 February 2013 09:25, Peter Neubauer
[...]

    Ing. Informatico
    Via Saline 9 37020 Negrar (VR)
  • Michael Hunger at Feb 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    Try

    If you use neo4j-shell on the commandline make sure to pass in -config conf/neo4j.properties
    start f=node:node_auto_index('name:*') return f;
    Sent from mobile device