Kindle for Android works with TalkBack

Griffiths, Steve
Dec 17, 2013 at 11:50 am
An update came out yesterday, which gives "Improved support for TalkBack
and Explore by touch" as one of its new features. I just installed it
and found the previously unlabelled menu button is now labelled, and I
could open a protected book and read it. It seems a bit limited -
continuous read only reads to the end of the page, and although I can do
a two finger swipe to the next page, I get no audible feedback that the
page has changed, and I need to restart continuous reading on each page.
But it's a start!

Steve

--

Our 2012/13 annual review brings to life the impact of our work on the lives of people with sight loss. Download the review or watch our video: http://rnib.in/I4Lx1t

--

DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

reply

  • Pamela Francis at Dec 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    Hello,
    Will it synchronize with the Kindle app already used on my iOS phone?
    I would love to have my Kindle app on my Nexus.

    Pam Francis

[...]

  • Christopher gilland at Dec 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    Pam,

    I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't.

    Chris.

[...]

  • Griffiths, Steve at Dec 17, 2013 at 12:26 pm
    Pam,

    If you log in with the same Amazon account, you'll have the same books
    available. You'll need to download the books to your Nexus separately,
    but I've just tried opening a book on my Android phone that I was
    previously reading on my iPad, and it's synched the position correctly.

    Steve

[...]

      To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
    spa...@...com

  • Pamela Francis at Dec 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    Now, Amazon needs to make the Kindle app accessible on the Mac. Then I will be one happy camper.

    Pam Francis

[...]

  • Warren Carr at Dec 18, 2013 at 12:24 am
    It should sync wsith all the books on your other devices so long as you log
    onto it using your id and PW

[...]

    confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient
    you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or
    of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of
    your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from
    your system.

    RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its
    staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it cannot
    accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

    Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any
    attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
    of RNIB.

    RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

    Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

  • Dr Yusuf Vohra at Dec 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    hello friend, I know that its a silly question, but I don't know thats
    why I am asking that what is this kindle use for?
[...]

    mobile:
    +919879409087
    +919426672552
    E-mail ID:
    dr....@...com
    facebook:
    http://facebook.com/dr.yusufvohra
    follow me on twittor:
    @DrYusuf84
    skype:
    yusuf.vohra

  • Griffiths, Steve at Dec 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    Kindle is an eBook reading app. The biggest seller of eBooks in the
    English speaking world - I've heard estimates of 80% of market share -
    and with accessible apps already for PC and iOS, so it's good to see
    Android joining the club.

    Steve

[...]

  • Overlord25 at Dec 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

    Hi All,

    I;m really pleased about this, I along with many others on this list
    have been bombarding Amazon with emails for a while now and finally it's
    paid off!

    I can't criticise the app too much as it's early days and what we now have
    is 100% better
    than yesterday, however a colour theme for those with some vision and font
    adjustment (unless I'm overlooking it)
    would be good.

    I'd also like to see better access to the Kindle like store rather than
    just loading a web browser, perhaps they could
    intergrate their own like the Nook seems to have done.

    I've been receiving my daily newspaper on my hardeware Kindle Keyboard for
    a couple
    years now, so it's nice to have an alternative device to read on if I'm
    travelling light.

    So as well as parcels dropping through the mailbox, Amazon have delivered
    us this
    Christmas cracker too - well done!

    I think it's perhaps important that some of us take the time to let them
    know what
    they've done right after all they done wrong, so I'll be dropping them a
    line to thank them
    I hope some will join me,

    Kind regards,

    Chris
  • Steve Nutt at Dec 17, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    Hi,

    I'd sooner let the user choose their own browser, because with Firefox it
    works really well.

    All the best

    Steve

    --

    Computer Room Services

    77 Exeter Close

    Stevenage

    Hertfordshire

    SG1 4PW

    Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

    Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

    Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

    Email: ste...@...uk

    Web: <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

[...]

  • Warren Carr at Dec 18, 2013 at 12:27 am
    They heard us; and kudows to them for taking this huge step!

    I remember some on here poo-pooing the fact that our messages were in vain!

    Go Amazon!

    Warren

[...]

  • Gary melconian at Dec 18, 2013 at 2:25 am
    I guess its chris telling us that there was new person in charge of
    accessibility at amazon and things would improve. So hopefully thins will
    improve forall the accessibility in the future for android.

[...]

    Hey, this is awesome news! At least we're slowly but surely getting there!
    Way to go to Amazon! We really had to get on them both with their I O S,
    and their Android apps, but hey, the fact now that they're listenning
    finally is great!

    Chris.

[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    Hi Steve,

    I get different results on different devices.

    On my Galaxy S3 running 4.1.2, continuous read does work continuously even
    beyond a page.

    On my Galaxy Nexus, running 4.3, continuous reading doesn't work at all,
    neither does explore by touch. Could be the phone needs a reset, but I'm
    still investigating.

    On my wife's Galaxy Nexus, same version, continuous does work continuously,
    except she gets it reading with the US Google TTS even though she has
    Acapela selected.

    So it's a hotch potch of a solution at the moment, but at least it is a step
    in the right direction.

    All the best

    Steve

    --
    Computer Room Services
    77 Exeter Close

[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    Sent from my iPad
    I get different results on different devices.

    On my Galaxy S3 running 4.1.2, continuous read does work continuously even
    beyond a page.

    On my Galaxy Nexus, running 4.3, continuous reading doesn't work at all,
    neither does explore by touch. Could be the phone needs a reset, but I'm
    still investigating.

    On my wife's Galaxy Nexus, same version, continuous does work continuously,
    except she gets it reading with the US Google TTS even though she has what is the magic search keyword for finding the Kindle app? I have tried Amazon Kindle, Kindle, Kindle book reader, and the Kindle app does not show up in the list of apps. This should be a no-brainer, right? Mary
[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    Hi Just searched for Kindle and it came up. Kindle Mobile by Amazon LLC.

    Anyway my results are a bit skewed now because I uninstalled from the Nexus
    and reinstalled and it now works.

    There is a bug however where even if you are set to UK speech, Kindle reads
    in US. If you select Acapela voices though it read with your chosen Acapela
    voice, so I can live with that.

    What I don't like though is the old chestnut that it doesn't disable screen
    lock so you can only read in ten minute chunks.

    Nook still rules, but this is a great leap forward from Amazon.

    All the best

    Steve

    --
    Computer Room Services
    77 Exeter Close

[...]

  • Barry G at Dec 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    Hi Steve, afraid I haven't found a gesture list, it's been trial and error.
    On the Fire,:
    2-finger swipe left or right moves a page at a time, **but not from the
    edge.
    **2-finger swipe from the very left edge opens the sidebar with navigation
    by chapter etc.
    2 finger down-swipe on the Fire starts continuous reading whereas a single
    tap on the screen reads page by page, having to swipe and tap at the end of
    each page.

    I've just downloaded the Kindle app and successfully synchronised with my
    Fire but the double finger down doesn't seem to work on my Nexus 4, and the
    things I do to bring up menus etc don't seem to work either. Only way I've
    found to initiate continuous reading is to go into the menu by tapping on
    the screen... waiting... waiting... then tapping on the continuous reading
    item. I haven't let it read long enough to find out whether it does indeed
    read continuously because every time I go to put the phone down it stops
    reading!!!

    As for the Nook, I love that, but the pause at the end of each screen is
    very irritating. I'm guessing if I had a faster processor and possibly more
    ram in the phone, the page would re-render more quickly, reducing the
    admittedly small but still irritatingly too long pause.

    I'm off to the pub for some real ale now, so will take the familiar Kindle
    Fire to read there and come back to playing with the Kindle app on my phone
    tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be ok once I've done some learning by error!

    All the best,
    Barry

[...]

    This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security
    - http://www.websense.com/content/HostedEmailSecurity.aspx

    -----
    No virus found in this message.

    -----
    No virus found in this message.

  • Buddy Brannan at Dec 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    Hi,

    I’ve found continuous read on the KindleFire HDX is inconsistent at best. I’ve only ever got it to read a chapter at a time, and that only after a bit of cajoling. Maybe I broke something in messing with stuff, so I may just reset mine and try it again.
    --
    Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
    Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

[...]

  • Overlord25 at Dec 17, 2013 at 9:38 pm
    Hi All,

    after playing with the Kindle app for a while today, I've found
    a few things which I couldn't find initially,

    The menu on the home or start page, more options offers list view which may
    be easier to navigate more quickly,

    On the top left of the home page is menu, giving options for various
    things like library, store
    collections, register etc

    Settings interestingly offers the choice to use volume keys as page
    turners, but I'm thinking under Kit Kat
    this isn't working due to the updated volume rocker configuration - not
    working on mine anyway!

    Once a book is open there are different options,

    View Options - gives access to font size, margin widths and line spacing,
    brightness, colour scheme
    (white, cepia, or black), dismiss overlays restarts continuous reading.

    More Options - offers syncing, bookmarks, add notes, go to page, shop in
    Kindle store, and share progress,

    I've found invoking this menu to be a little problematic, it's some sort of
    combination of either double tapping or swiping!

    I seem to have continuous reading going ok, use a small font and it's the
    same acopela voice as my main system one,

    Hope this helps,

    Kind regards,

    Chris

  • Blake Sinnett at Dec 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm
    Hello,

    Try turning TB off and using the volume rocker to turn the page. I don't have the app, so can't try myself.

    Blake

[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 17, 2013 at 9:49 pm
    Hi Chris, so you and Steve both have continuous reading working with your a cappella voices. I am not using a cappella has my preferred TTS, so perhaps that is the problem. Although why should it work with one default TTS and not a different one? I especially don't understand how it is I'm getting a UK TTS when I'm sent for US English. That seems really weird. With a single page reading, where you have to flick with two fingers to get to the next page, I am getting my I Vona Kendra voice. It's just a continuous reading started by dismissing the menu overlay when I get this UK voice. I wonder if anybody else is experiencing this.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 18, 2013 at 8:42 am
    Hi Mary,

    It is well broke with Google TTS. Even though we have it set to UK, it
    reads with the US Google voice. Switch to Acapela and all works fine. So
    it's that darned language thing again with Talkback.

    All the best

    Steve

[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 18, 2013 at 12:02 am
    I uninstalled the Kindle app. I reinstalled and reregistered it. I still don't get my Ivona Kendra voice. The only way I get that voice is to read by page with the two finger swipe followed by touching the screen. If I touch the screen again I go to some sort of word selection mode. And that is also with the UK voice. Very strange. I suppose I will have to switch to a cappella which I do have, to see if that works. But I would be curious to know if others not using a cappella are getting their preferred voice in all situations in this app.

    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 18, 2013 at 1:56 am
    Here is another observation on the Kindle app. Scrolling is dreadfully, dreadfully slow. I put a bunch of books onto the app, and was left down at the bottom of the list. If there is a way to quickly get to the top of the list on android, I do not know what it is and would like to. So I started doing rapid two finger scrolling to try to get to the top. And the app froze up tight. Not too good.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 18, 2013 at 4:41 am
    Well, I have discovered that I to can change to a cappella and have it used in continuous reading. Interestingly, when I switched to the Google TTS, a cappella still stayed active as the continuous reading voice in the Amazon Kindle app. Switching back to ivona still kept the a cappella voice. Very strange. Also, does anyone have any idea if there is a way to sort how items show up in your books listing? It seems that the last book you read is at the top, which makes sense. But after that, I'm not seeing any rhyme or reason nor a way to sort things.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 18, 2013 at 8:44 am
    Hi Mary,

    Where it says Sort By Recent in thel list of books on the screen, double tap
    that and then select your sort method.

    All the best

    Steve

[...]

  • Christopher Bartlett at Dec 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    I found sorting in the settings which I think I got to through the more
    options menu on the book list page.

    I have continuous scrolling (nexus 4, tb 3.5 and Kit Kat 4.4.2). As I use
    the Google TTS US female voice by default I've not had any voice issues.

    So huzzah Amazon, a good start. Now let's get them to give us better
    access.

    By the way, the borrow an e-book does not appear to apply to the Android
    app. I think it only works on kindle hardware, or at least I haven't
    figured out how to make it work yet. Anyone using a non-kindle reading
    solution got this to work?

                     Chris Bartlett

[...]

  • Danny Mathis at Dec 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    I am using Samantha from vocalizer and the continues reading works by
    just double tapping the screen. When you take steves suggestion to
    shrink the front and margens, talkbacks granularity works as well. I
    do not know about the app being sluggish because I have it installed
    on my nexus5 and I refuse to use that horid google TTS. US English or
    UK does not matter.
[...]

  • Danny Mathis at Dec 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    Before I get slammed for using Samantha, if vocalizer would wake up
    and up their TTS engine and voices on the play store I would be glad
    to pay. I did pay for Acapela do not regret it one bit.

    On Dec 17, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Overlord25 <chr...@...uk>
[...]

  • Gary melconian at Dec 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    Danny what version o kindle application is accessible with talkback. just
    want to know.

[...]

  • Christopher Bartlett at Dec 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    Some other discoveries:

    With a book open, you can get to the menu by swiping right until you hear
    the progress information in the footer, then double-tapping. This restores
    the menu.

    Also, two-finger swiping left and right moves from page to page.

    Long-pressing on a book title in the book list will bring up a menu of
    options where you can add the book to a collection, go to various parts of
    the book, including furthest read and remove the book from your device.

    A Capella doesn't appear to work with continuous reading, or at least, for
    me it used the Google TTS US voice for the text, though A Capella read the
    controls.

    More discoveries to follow as I use this more.

    Chris Bartlett
    P.S. Gary, it's the latest version from the play store.

  • Danny Mathis at Dec 18, 2013 at 6:18 pm
    I am running the latest TB from the play store, nexus5 given kitcat
    and so far this app is doing great for me. Let me find books I want
    to read I will make a list just to see if I see any lag in the list of
    books. I dout it because the nexus5 and the LG G2 both use the same
    800 snap dragon processor.
    With a book open, you can get to the menu by swiping right until you hear
    the progress information in the footer, then double-tapping. This restores
    the menu.

    Also, two-finger swiping left and right moves from page to page.

    Long-pressing on a book title in the book list will bring up a menu of
    options where you can add the book to a collection, go to various parts of
    the book, including furthest read and remove the book from your device.

    A Capella doesn't appear to work with continuous reading, or at least, for
    me it used the Google TTS US voice for the text, though A Capella read the
    controls.

    More discoveries to follow as I use this more.

    Chris Bartlett
    P.S. Gary, it's the latest version from the play store.

  • Mary Otten at Dec 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    My problem with super slow scrolling in the book list seems to have disappeared with a reboot of my Nexus seven 2013. I still have the voice problems though. Although for me, as noted earlier, I Capella does read in the continuous reading mode. I just wish I Ivona did.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    Hi Mary,

    Try this.

    1. Switch to Ivona.

    2. In the TTS Output settings tap Play A Sample. Make sure that it is
    Ivona that reads the sample.

    Now flip back to your Kindle and see if it will read with Ivona.

    All the best

    Steve

    --
    Computer Room Services
    77 Exeter Close

[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm
    Hi Steve,
    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not work. I still have a cappella in continuous read. Oh well.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Mary Otten at Dec 18, 2013 at 6:26 pm
    Chris,
    Did you try switching speech engines and then switching again off and on a cappella? That's what works for me. Only with a cappella. But if that's the one you want, maybe that will do the trick for you.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPhone
    With a book open, you can get to the menu by swiping right until you hear
    the progress information in the footer, then double-tapping. This restores
    the menu.

    Also, two-finger swiping left and right moves from page to page.

    Long-pressing on a book title in the book list will bring up a menu of
    options where you can add the book to a collection, go to various parts of
    the book, including furthest read and remove the book from your device.

    A Capella doesn't appear to work with continuous reading, or at least, for
    me it used the Google TTS US voice for the text, though A Capella read the
    controls.

    More discoveries to follow as I use this more.

    Chris Bartlett
    P.S. Gary, it's the latest version from the play store.

  • Danny Mathis at Dec 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    whom ever has a nexis7 running 4.2.2, I would go check for updates and
    update that tablit to 4.4.
[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 18, 2013 at 8:41 am
    Hi Chris,

    To invoke the menu, it seems that a two finger swipe right to left will
    sometimes do it.

    All the best

    Steve

[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Dec 18, 2013 at 8:40 am
    Hi Barry,

    Thanks for this, I'll ttry some of these out.

    All the best

    Steve

    --
    Computer Room Services
    77 Exeter Close

[...]

  • Brooke at Dec 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    I've installed the Kindle app on my Nexus 7 running 4.4.2. The hardest
    part, for me anyway, was signing into Kindle, because Talkback was sluggish
    on the sign-in screen. Once I got past that, I was able to view my books,
    download one, and read it. On my device, Continuous Read does seem to be
    working.

  • Mary Otten at Dec 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm
    I finally found the app. I got it installed and got signed in, although I also noted the talkback sluggishness when doing so.
    On my 2013 Nexus seven, I do have continuous read, but it is using some kind of obnoxious voice which I think maybe UK Google TTS. It's nothing I have heard before. It does work, but that voice!

    Otherwise, you have to read page by page if you want your selected TTS. And at the bottom of each page, the other voice, the continuous read voice, pronounces the first word at the start of the page you just read. This behavior is the same as in the Kindle fire HDX. It's rather annoying. I don't know if this holds true for all books, or just the one I happened to start reading. Hopefully, they will figure out why and fix it.
    Mary

    Sent from my iPad