Feeling a little envious after talking to an apple using friend, who is now
enjoying a very accessible Kindle app on his ipad and iphone, I wrote to
Amazon regarding the android version, here's their reply - perhaps a few
more emails might push a little harder..

Regards,

Chris

Hello,

I read your email and understand that you want the text to speech feature
on android kindle app.

As of now, there is no update regarding this.

To ensure utmost attention, I’ve forwarded your feedback to our Kindle
development team and I'm sure that they'll consider your valuable feedback
and will develop this text-to-speech feature very soon for android as we
plan for further improvements. We're regularly working on improvements to
your Kindle experience.

We truly value this kind of input as it helps us shape, strengthen and
improve the Kindle and Kindle apps and provide better service to our
customers.

Please be assured that we're continuously working hard to improve your
Kindle experience. I have forwarded your request to the Kindle Development
Team and they will carefully look into the implementing this feature soon.

As with all of our products, we continue to make Kindle and Kindle apps
better for customers with regular software updates.

As soon as your request becomes available, we will definitely let you know
about this through our website.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we
provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback and we're always glad to help
you if you need anything.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

  • Mike Reiser at Jul 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm
    They should really make it work with talkback, not self voicing. That's just my opinion.

    Mike

    Twitter michaelsreiser

    Skype michael-reiser@comcast.net

    Facebook mikereiser08@gmail.netsent from my iPhone
[...]

  • Overlord25 at Jul 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    I agree with you Mike, however at present as an Android app we don't have
    either - the Kindle Fire which under the hood is Android does have TTS
    support added as an afterthought and also since Amazon's aquistion of IVONA
    earlier this year. The Apple app version does use their native Voiceover
    as it's speech so I would hope they will follow suit with the standalone
    Android version.

    Regards,

    Chris

    Skype michael...@comcast.net <javascript:>

    Facebook mikere...@gmail.netSent <javascript:> from my iPhone

[...]

  • Kevin Cussick at Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    and I wouldn't hold your breath on them making it accessible any time
    soon. I asked them something about 18 months ago about the pc
    application and they gave me the same sort of e-mail back. needles to
    say I am still waiting Lol.
[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Jul 21, 2013 at 7:13 pm
    Hi,

    The PC app is accessible as far as I know, if you download the version with Accessible Plugin. What can't you do with it?

    All the best

    Steve

    --
    Computer Room Services
    77 Exeter Close
[...]

  • Kevin Cussick at Jul 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    Hi, I can do everything with it. I wanted a UK voice and they sent me
    almost the same e-mail. no it was not a problem with the accessibility.
    but I noted it was almost word for word the same but with a few changes
    that's all.

    On Jul 20, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Overlord25 <chris.ankin@hotmail.co.uk
[...]

  • Christopher Bartlett at Jul 22, 2013 at 1:33 am
    When last I used it, I could not explore text, or navigate except I think by page. It was about as useful for reading as the Google play books app on Android.
      Chris Bartlett

[...]

  • Steve Nutt at Jul 22, 2013 at 6:05 am
    Hi,

    Actually the Google Play books works reasonably well.

    All the best

    Steve

    --
    Computer Room Services
    77 Exeter Close
[...]

  • Android at Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 am
    Hi,

    Just a template reply msg, if 100 people email to them, all should get almost the same reply. No surprise though.

    --

    Allan WKF

[...]

  • Mike Arrigo at Jul 22, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    Yes, you can read books with the google books app, this is not possible
    at all with the kindle app.