link to fastboot+ADB package, used to flash custom ROMs

Drew
Dec 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm
As many know, in order to root/install custom ROMs to any phone, at some point you need to use fastboot to flash the kernel, and then ADB to shell into the thing to do the install script for the first time. We usually tell people to go grab the Android SDK, but having to install the whole thing and then select the platform-tools module specifically, and leaving all of that unused stuff on your hard drive is unnecessary. Furthermore it is also an unnecessary pain to have to always cd\ c:\program files (X86)\android\android-SDK\platform-tools every day just to update my phone. Stupid. (yes yes I just use ROM manager now; beside the point)

A simpler alternative is to grab this .7Z and extract it wherever you want; c:\ say! For the total commandline-shy, It even includes a batchfile you can edit to drive the thing. Incidentally, did you know you can also use fastboot boot boot.img to test a boot image before you flash your phone with it? How cool is that! Anyway, here it is:

http://unlock-bootloader.com/dwld/fastboot.7z

Hope this makes the first-time rooting process slightly less headachey for some people.

--
reply

  • Mallard at Dec 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm
    Hello Drew,
    Blessings to you!
    Thanks for this one!
    Ciao,
    Ollie

[...]

    signature database 7824 (20121221) __________

    http://www.eset.com
  • Christian at Dec 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm
    Hi,
    So, this will help me root the phone and I dont need any sighted assistance for that?
    Sorry for asking, but I just want to be sure before I do anything.
    Many thanks,
    Christian

[...]

  • Drew at Dec 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    This doesn't help you get root access; these are the tools you use to flash a custom ROM once you get root access.

[...]

Drew: 2 posts Christian: 1 post Mallard: 1 post