Hi, I've created a Django project but can't really seem to install it
correctly on Hostgator.

I've followed this tutorial:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jhvixMmTRGYHRbHaYlTHTNrtpziGotQMc0iBO0sTbIo
and created new project which worked. When I uploaded my own project I got
server error - 500.
I'm presuming it has something to do with the additional apps i'm using:
endless-pagination, newsletter, sorl.thumbnail, django_extensions

How can install them on the server? I can't really use sudo pip install
there I don't have permissions.

Also is there more detailed/easier way of installing django?

Please explain in detail I'm really new at django.

Thanks!

  • John Neumann at Jan 3, 2013 at 4:36 am
    You would be correct. You cannot install anything else on HostGator (it's
    why I left them despite their fantastic customer support). You can see what
    they do have installed
    here: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-guide/hardware-software/python-modules

    Outside of those things you're hosed. Either find another host or lose the
    libs. After I had the same problem I moved to WebFaction and couldn't be
    happier there. They have great customer support as well (though I do miss
    the ability to chat on the fly).

    Also it would be easier to install django if you had another host.
    Hostgator is great for most things outside of Python land. Again, like
    Hostgator, but their Python/Django support is weak sauce.
    Hi, I've created a Django project but can't really seem to install it
    correctly on Hostgator.

    I've followed this tutorial:
    https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jhvixMmTRGYHRbHaYlTHTNrtpziGotQMc0iBO0sTbIo
    and created new project which worked. When I uploaded my own project I got
    server error - 500.
    I'm presuming it has something to do with the additional apps i'm using:
    endless-pagination, newsletter, sorl.thumbnail, django_extensions

    How can install them on the server? I can't really use sudo pip install
    there I don't have permissions.

    Also is there more detailed/easier way of installing django?

    Please explain in detail I'm really new at django.

    Thanks!
  • John Neumann at Jan 3, 2013 at 4:52 am
    You can also try this: https://my.hostgator.com/cgi/help/530 and/or this:
    https://my.hostgator.sg/cgi/help/python-install though iric it was riddled
    with issues. Been a bit since I had to do it without the ability to install
    things intelligently. Personally I'd suggest trying to install virtualenv
    and see if you can even get that to work. If you can't then you're probably
    screwed (again though I'd still suggest switching hosts).
[...]

  • Avraham Serour at Jan 3, 2013 at 9:18 am
    Hi, I'm also using hostgator to host a django project.
    first of all note that they have different plans with different features,
    what I'm going to write applies to their shared hosting plans.

    Looks like they are using some version of centos, which comes with python
    2.6 I believe.
    Installing a python from source on your home folder is a good idea, but
    unfortunately hostgator blocks access to gcc.
    on the other hand they already have python 2.7.3 installed, juts use python2.7
    as the executable, try running "python2.7 -V"
    btw, they also have python2.6 for 2.6.6 and python3 for 3.2.3

    after that you should use virtualenv to create a project specific env so
    you can install things using pip. download the virtualenv.py file to you
    project folder and run it from there. for the index.fcgi file you should
    put this in the first line:
    #!/home/username/projectname/env/bin/python

    other than that I think it should be standard, maybe I should do a blog
    posting documenting this better. let us now if this works

    hosting-guide/hardware-**software/python-modules<http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-guide/hardware-software/python-modules>

    *1jhvixMmTRGYHRbHaYlTHTNrtpziGo**tQMc0iBO0sTbIo<https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jhvixMmTRGYHRbHaYlTHTNrtpziGotQMc0iBO0sTbIo>
    and created new project which worked. When I uploaded my own project I
    got server error - 500.
    I'm presuming it has something to do with the additional apps i'm using:
    endless-pagination, newsletter, sorl.thumbnail, django_extensions

    How can install them on the server? I can't really use sudo pip install
    there I don't have permissions.

    Also is there more detailed/easier way of installing django?

    Please explain in detail I'm really new at django.

    Thanks!
    For more options, visit this group at
  • Gjorge Karakabakov at Jan 4, 2013 at 8:34 am
    Thank you all for your answers - I decided to switch the hosting service to
    Webfaction <http://www.webfaction.com/?affiliate=gorgekara>.
    They have lots of tutorials and great support.
    Hi, I've created a Django project but can't really seem to install it
    correctly on Hostgator.

    I've followed this tutorial:
    https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jhvixMmTRGYHRbHaYlTHTNrtpziGotQMc0iBO0sTbIo
    and created new project which worked. When I uploaded my own project I got
    server error - 500.
    I'm presuming it has something to do with the additional apps i'm using:
    endless-pagination, newsletter, sorl.thumbnail, django_extensions

    How can install them on the server? I can't really use sudo pip install
    there I don't have permissions.

    Also is there more detailed/easier way of installing django?

    Please explain in detail I'm really new at django.

    Thanks!
  • Bb6xt at Jan 4, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    Hi Gjorge,
    I haven't used Hostgator but I believe just extracting the required packages into project root should work. Here what am proposing:
    myproj/
         myproj/
         django/
         django_extensions/
         South
    This way you simply upload your project to the server along with the dependencies.
    dislaimer: I haven't use hostgator and I didn't follow the link in your post.
    --ab

  • Todong at May 2, 2014 at 6:57 am
    Do you meet a problem of setting up CGI for python? I found this post which
    may be helpful to you: Python CGI setup for hostgator hosting<http://redino.net/blog/2014/03/python-cgi-setup-hostgator-hosting/>