[android-x86] 4.2 runs from live cd, but bootloops on android logo when installed to HDD

Thewouncebutton
Feb 21, 2013 at 1:49 am
I'm running an HP Tx2z. Have run the tx2500 ICS build (touch drivers not
working), the asus ICS build (couln't boot at all), and the 4.2 dev build
all from live CDs. The JB build boots from live cd just fine, multitouch
loads up and works, the only issue is it seems to be missing wifi drivers,
and thats a seperate and less difficult problem I suppose than this.

I liked the way that JB handled on my machine and made the jump to install
to hard disk, alongside my fresh windows 7 install. There is only a single
NTFS partition on my disk. Grub setup fine, and I can access/boot my
windows 7 install, yet when trying to boot android the system makes it as
far as the android graphic screen and basically bootloops there. The splash
screen flickers constantly and the system never loads, I've let it sit as
long as an hour like this. I had tried a suggestion a few posts below mine
in another thread, to try ctrl+alt+f1 and look at the log, but the system
seems unresponsive to this command.

The funny thing is, when booting from live CD, and then choosing the
install to hard disk option, the system seems to install just fine, and
when presented with the "run android" option at the end of that process, it
runs fine. Yet if I shut it down, and start the machine up again, android
simply cannot finish booting from hard disk.

I'm not really sure where to begin with this one, but I am entirely
computer literate in that if anyone has any suggestions I don't exactly
need the laymans version of it.

I had set the system to install as read/rite capable, it seems to me that
if I had intended to modify it in any significant way that Id want this
option. I'd tried setting userdata image size to both the min and max just
to see about a change, no difference either way.

Anyone got any thoughts?

reply

  • Electrik jesus at Feb 28, 2013 at 2:49 am
    I am having this same issue with the 2/27 build as well on my Acer w500, I
    will post back how I fix it if I can ;)

    On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:58:43 AM UTC-5, thewoun...@gmail.com
[...]

  • Electrik jesus at Feb 28, 2013 at 3:05 am
    I was able to fix this by reinstalling as normal, not read/write ;)

[...]

  • Erik Johansen at Mar 14, 2013 at 5:05 am
    Choosing not read/write resolved it on my Acer Aspire One.
[...]

  • Thanos Papoutsis at Mar 4, 2013 at 7:02 pm
    I have exactly the same issue. When i install it as read/write and run the
    android right after installation without rebooting everything is ok, but
    when i reboot the system makes it as far as the android graphic screen and
    basically bootloops there. If reinstall it as normal no read/write its ok
    but i need the read/write option cause i want to do some changes in the
    system folder. I tryied everything any suggestion?

    On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:58:43 PM UTC+2, thewoun...@gmail.com
[...]

  • Jon West at Mar 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm
    The only other option is a straight ext3 install of android ONLY :( no
    windows :( this way android sees it as the first and only partition. The
    only other option is finding a way to mount a virtual partition from a .fs
    file.
[...]

  • Thanos Papoutsis at Mar 6, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    I formatted a usb stick in ext3 i installed only android in rea/write mode
    but nothing happened. Exactly the same behaviour as before. If not reboot
    android loads ok after reboot pc cant boot to android. I dont know what to
    do
[...]

  • Jon West at Mar 7, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    I think that it might be because Grub is written to the boot sector of the
    HD and Android isn't on the HD, so it cant find it. Try to install Android
    to the HD and see if it will boot instead of the USB drive.

[...]

  • Dscm at Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    located this...give it a try

    Partition your USB drive/SDCard, into two partitions, using this
    EaseUS Partition Master, which is what I used.

    Partition layout needs to be one with 1GB of space with FAT32
    filesystem, that is for the installer.

    Remaining partition of type ext3 (Linux partition).

    The installer, when live-booting from the USB Drive/SDCard, will show
    the just-created partition on the USB/SDCard, just select that
    partition to install on it and its done.
[...]

  • Jon West at Mar 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm
[...]

  • Dscm at Mar 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    these "issues" have been around a while...and been solved by many in
    these forums

    1) shrink your windows partition leaving 2-4GB of free space

    2) use gparted(google it) and format your new 2-4GB partition as ext3

    3) install whatever flavor of android-x86 from usb flash drive to your
    new 2-4GB partitioned/formatted
    space

    4) select install grub when asked, also select add windows when asked

    this method is known to work fine.......

    can't use fat/ntfs/whatever...good luck

[...]

  • Thanos Papoutsis at Mar 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    yes in a HD its ok. Did you manage to install androidx86 as read/write in a
    usb stick?
[...]

  • Dscm at Mar 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    why would you want to??? but anyway...I have installed android-x86
    onto sd card
    and it worked fine as I recall.....

    try this if you must: http://www.austintek.com/dual_boot_usb_flash_drive/

[...]

  • Christian Starling at Mar 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    I am having the same issue with the Feb build, HP Pavilion G6...

    On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:58:43 AM UTC-6, thewoun...@gmail.com