[android-x86] android-x86-4.0-RC1-tegav2 GRUB Legacy vs GRUB2 issues

VPAD10 Hacker
May 28, 2012 at 12:08 am
Hello Mr. Huang, Mr.Sutton... you guys are my heroes!

I have been trying to get my VPAD10 to quad boot via my UBUNTU 11.04's
GRUB2 loader into the latest android-x86-4.0-RC1-tegav2 ISO.

To date I have been running 2.3.4/win7/win8/ubuntu 11.04 with GRUB2 loader
with no problems.

I replaced my 2.3.4 OS partition with the 4.0-RC1 above via a a clean
install using unetbootin-win-549 with the above subject ISO WITHOUT
installing the default grub lagacy loader.

As always, I modify the /etc/grub.d/40_custom entry to direct to the new
ICS install, run update-grub and when I reboot and select the ICS OS, it
finds it and it loads it but with errors "unfortunately UI has stopped" and
the mouse curser stutters across the screen..
The first thing I can notice that something is wrong is that the silver
glow that slides across the ANDROID logo when it boots stutters across the
logo instead of being smooth.

If I do a clean install using unetbootin-win-549 with the above subject
ISO installing the default grub lagacy loader, it all works perfectly! But
I have not Ubuntu 11.04

Win7 & Win8 also load perfectly via the lagacy grub as they also loaded
perfectly via grub2 when ubuntu 11.04 is installed.

I have even tried to do a clean install using unetbootin-win-549 with the
above subject ISO installing the default grub lagacy loader, then
reinstalling ubuntu 11.04, modify the /etc/grub.d/40_custom
entry, update-grub and still...when I reboot the logo stutters and I get
the same errrors.

I am guessing that when ubuntu installs, it does something to the video or
ram memory causing this issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!!

Regards, George

Here is the grub2 entry:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry "Android-x86" {

insmod part_msdos
set root='(hd0,1)'

linux /android-4.0-RC1/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0
androidboot_hardware=tegav2 acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode SDCARD=sdb
SRC=/android-4.0-RC1

initrd /android-4.0-RC1/initrd.img

reply

  • Chih-Wei Huang at May 28, 2012 at 3:26 am
    Change androidboot_hardware=tegav2 to
    androidboot.hardware=tegav2

    androidboot_hardware is not supported in ics-x86.

[...]

    Chih-Wei
    Android-x86 project
    http://www.android-x86.org

  • VPAD10 Hacker at May 29, 2012 at 4:19 am
    Hello Mr. Huang... THAT WAS IT!!!!!

    Thank you so very much!!!!!

    You services to x86 are so greatly appreciated, thanks again.

    Best Regards,

    George