[android-porting] Configure DHCP for Ethernet from user application

CTurner
May 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Hi all,

I have a FreeARM Tiny210 development device running Android 4.0.3. The
Android system has ethernet support, and came prepackaged with an Ethernet
Settings application. The problem I'm having is that on boot, the device
assigns a static IP which doesn't play nice with the network my application
needs to use, so I have to manually go into the Ethernet Settings app. The
app does remember that I want to use DHCP, so every time I go into it it
automatically configures the settings correctly.

What I would like to know is how can I a) get my own app to reset ethernet
to use DHCP on start-up, or b) change some setting on the OS so that on
boot it selects DHCP.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?
Thanks.

reply

  • Robert Greenwalt at May 24, 2012 at 7:23 pm
    The built in support for ethernet isn't very good.

    You could make a build setup to auto-start dhcp on your ethernet iface.
    Making this UI configurable would be more work, but it's doable.

    Modify your init.rc with something like:
    service dhcpcd_eth0 /system/bin/dhcpcd -ABKL
    class main
    oneshot

    I have a FreeARM Tiny210 development device running Android 4.0.3. The
    Android system has ethernet support, and came prepackaged with an Ethernet
    Settings application. The problem I'm having is that on boot, the device
    assigns a static IP which doesn't play nice with the network my application
    needs to use, so I have to manually go into the Ethernet Settings app. The
    app does remember that I want to use DHCP, so every time I go into it it
    automatically configures the settings correctly.

    What I would like to know is how can I a) get my own app to reset ethernet
    to use DHCP on start-up, or b) change some setting on the OS so that on
    boot it selects DHCP.

    Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?
    Thanks.

  • Ronnyek at May 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm
    There are patches available that add configuration dialog etc, mostly all
    originated by yi sun of the android-x86 project.

    They never applied out of the box for me, but were straightforward enough
    to patch manually. Do a bit of research, and you'll be good to go with full
    blown EthernetService,EthernetManager,EthernetConfiguration etc

    Ronnyek
    I have a FreeARM Tiny210 development device running Android 4.0.3. The
    Android system has ethernet support, and came prepackaged with an Ethernet
    Settings application. The problem I'm having is that on boot, the device
    assigns a static IP which doesn't play nice with the network my application
    needs to use, so I have to manually go into the Ethernet Settings app. The
    app does remember that I want to use DHCP, so every time I go into it it
    automatically configures the settings correctly.

    What I would like to know is how can I a) get my own app to reset ethernet
    to use DHCP on start-up, or b) change some setting on the OS so that on
    boot it selects DHCP.

    Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?
    Thanks.
  • Reggie at Jan 30, 2013 at 4:01 pm
    Hi CTurner, I've just posted over on the Android building google group
    about my board, a mini210S, I'd like to get the ethernet sorted out as
    well, there should be an 'ethernet settings' app. in the ice cream sandwich
    image that friendlyarm wrote, you should be able to set it to dhcp from
    there and it should auto start like that next time you boot.

    There is a another problem where the ethernet isn't patched into the
    framework, so google play etc. aren't aware of eth0 as a download source.
    There is the x86 ics ethernet patch, which I've tried to patch (the patch
    succeeds) and compiled the rom but if I have the dpi set to auto (120) and
    go into settings, the settings dialog crashes as soon as I scroll down to
    the 'ethernet settings' tab, if I set it to hdpi (>200) I can access
    settings and scroll past the ethernet settings tab but still can't access
    it. I'm guessing that there are issues with a missing icon at the ldpi
    setting for the 'ethernet settings' tab, but not entirely sure what's
    stopping me from accessing it. any help would be appreciated and I can
    take this to a new topic if that would be helpful?

    Regards,
    Reggie.