Stored procedures in Impala

G.S.Vijay raajaa
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:33 am
Hi,

I could see that Impala doesn't support stored procedures. One of my
use cases requires me to handle table lookups and direct the flow using
conditional constraints.

1) Am I to use a java code with jdbc connectivity to achieve the same or is
there any other alter?

2) Is there any 3rd party BI tool integrations, so that I could specify my
process as flows?

4) Does Cloudera provide a reporting tool for BI use cases?

Regards,
Vijay Raajaa

--
reply

Search Discussions

1 response

  • Lenni Kuff at Dec 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    Hi Vijay,
    Answers to your questions inline:

    1) Am I to use a java code with jdbc connectivity to achieve the same or is
    there any other alter?

    JDBC support is a top feature ask and we will be delivering it soon in an
    upcoming beta refresh. Please see the Impala
    Roadmap<http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/12/whats-next-for-cloudera-impala/>
    for
    more details on what features to expect moving forward.

    Alternatively, Impala does support INSERT statements so you could insert
    into a secondary table and control your application flow based on the
    insert results. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, this might
    work.

    2) Is there any 3rd party BI tool integrations, so that I could specify my
    process as flows?

    We have been working closely with many BI partners like Tableau and
    MicroStrategy to get Impala integration added. In fact, the recently
    released version of Tableau
    (7.0.10<https://licensing.tableausoftware.com/esdalt/>)
    has beta support for Impala.

    3) Does Cloudera provide a reporting tool for BI use cases?

    Cloudera's goal is to provide a platform for a diverse set of applications
    to build on top of, including BI and analytic tools. We do not currently
    develop any reporting tools ourselves.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Thanks,
    Lenni
    Software Engineer - Cloudera

    On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM, G.S.Vijay raajaa

    I could see that Impala doesn't support stored procedures. One of my
    use cases requires me to handle table lookups and direct the flow using
    conditional constraints.

    1) Am I to use a java code with jdbc connectivity to achieve the same or
    is there any other alter?

    2) Is there any 3rd party BI tool integrations, so that I could specify my
    process as flows?

    4) Does Cloudera provide a reporting tool for BI use cases?

    Regards,
    Vijay Raajaa

Lenni Kuff: 1 post G.S.Vijay raajaa: 1 post