I'm working through the upgrade from CDH3u5 to CDH4.4.0 and hit an(other)
issue -

I couldn't get the jobtracker to start and was getting this error:
STARTUP_MSG: build =
file:///data/1/jenkins/workspace/generic-package-rhel64-6-0/topdir/BUILD/hadoop-2.0.0-cdh4.4.0/src/hadoop-mapreduce1-project
-r Unknown; compiled by 'jenkins' on Tue Sep 3 19:45:53 PDT 2013
STARTUP_MSG: java = 1.7.0_07
2013-09-19 22:00:47,885 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker:
registered UNIX signal handlers for [TERM, HUP, INT]
2013-09-19 22:00:48,269 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Does not contain a valid host:port
authority: local
at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:210)
at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:162)
at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:151)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.getAddress(JobTracker.java:2154)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.(JobTracker.java:1747)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:305)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:297)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.main(JobTracker.java:4538)

Then I switched to property name in mapred-site.xml from
"mapreduce.jobtracker.address" to the deprecated "mapred.job.tracker". And
now the jobtracker is starting.

Using a deprecated property doesn't seem right and I must be doing
something wrong.

Any advice on why using new property name isn't working ?

Thanks

--

---

  • Tatsuo Kawasaki at Sep 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm
    Hi Alex,

    Are you trying to run MRv1 job?

    Thanks,

[...]

    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.<init>(JobTracker.java:1754)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.<init>(JobTracker.java:1747)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:305)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.startTracker(JobTracker.java:297)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.main(JobTracker.java:4538)

    Then I switched to property name in mapred-site.xml from "mapreduce.jobtracker.address" to the deprecated "mapred.job.tracker". And now the jobtracker is starting.

    Using a deprecated property doesn't seem right and I must be doing something wrong.

    Any advice on why using new property name isn't working ?

    Thanks
    --

    ---

    ---
  • Alex bohr at Sep 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm
    Hi Tatsuo,
    I'm just trying to start the JobTracker not run a job.
    But yes I'm using MRv1 and the JobTracker, not MRv2 with the Yarn Resource
    Manager.

    I'm determining which property names are deprecated and should be updated
    during this migration by using this page:
    http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/DeprecatedProperties.html

    Thanks

[...]

  • Tatsuo Kawasaki at Sep 20, 2013 at 12:49 am
    Hi Alex,

    MRv1 on CDH4 is based on hadoop-0.20. (use JobTracker, TaskTracker daemon).
    So you should use *old* properties for MRv1.

    Please see below document.
    http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/4.3.0/CDH4-Release-Notes/cdh4rn_topic_2.html

        - *Deprecated properties:*
        In Hadoop 2.0.0 and later (MRv2), a number of Hadoop and HDFS properties
        have been deprecated. (The change dates from Hadoop 0.23.1, on which the
        Beta releases of CDH4 were based). A list of deprecated properties and
        their replacements can be found at
        http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/hadoop/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/DeprecatedProperties.html
        .
          *Note*: All of these deprecated properties continue to work in MRv1.
        Conversely the newmapreduce* properties listed do not work in MRv1.

    Hope this helps.

    tatsuo@cloudera.com

    --

    ---
  • Alex bohr at Sep 20, 2013 at 2:43 am

    Is that not accurate?

    And in the release notes it says:
    MRv1 in CDH4 is based on its counterpart in CDH3, with some changes to make
    the MR API compatible with Hadoop 2.0.0 (and Hadoop 0.23 and later).

    But I guess the main point is that I need to use old properties until I
    switch over to Yarn. Thanks for pointing out that note.

[...]

  • Kumar y at Sep 20, 2013 at 5:40 am
    please add this property to mapred-site.xml with right JT hostname

    <property>
       <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
       <value>jt.xxxxxx.net:8021</value>
       </property>