FAQ

[CentOS] gftp ?

Robert Moskowitz
Dec 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm
Centos 6.3


Just tried to install gftp, and no package found.


Where is it? I do have EPEL included in yum. I am rather addictived to
using it for SCP-based file moves between systems...
reply

Search Discussions

8 responses

  • John Plemons at Dec 7, 2012 at 1:32 pm
    Get it here


    http://pkgs.repoforge.org/gftp/


    john plemons







    On 12/7/2012 8:28 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
    Centos 6.3

    Just tried to install gftp, and no package found.

    Where is it? I do have EPEL included in yum. I am rather addictived to
    using it for SCP-based file moves between systems...


    _______________________________________________
    CentOS mailing list
    CentOS at centos.org
    http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



    -----
    No virus found in this message.
    Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2629/5896 - Release Date: 11/15/12
    Internal Virus Database is out of date.
  • Andreas Reschke at Dec 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

    centos-bounces at centos.org schrieb am 07.12.2012 14:28:55:


    Robert Moskowitz <rg...@...com>
    Gesendet von: centos-bounces at centos.org

    07.12.2012 14:29

    Bitte antworten an
    CentOS mailing list <cen...@...org>

    An

    centos at centos.org,

    Kopie

    Thema

    [CentOS] gftp ?

    Centos 6.3

    Just tried to install gftp, and no package found.

    Where is it? I do have EPEL included in yum. I am rather addictived to
    using it for SCP-based file moves between systems...


    _______________________________________________
    CentOS mailing list
    CentOS at centos.org
    http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

    Hi Robert,
    try the rpmforge repo


    [root at st00ni0029 ~]# yum install gftp.x86_64
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, refresh-packagekit
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    85 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
    Setting up Install Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package gftp.x86_64 2:2.0.19-4.el6.rf will be installed
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution


    Dependencies Resolved


    ===============================================================================================================================================================================================================
    Package Arch Version Repository
    Size
    ===============================================================================================================================================================================================================
    Installing:
    gftp x86_64 2:2.0.19-4.el6.rf
    rpmforge 690 k


    Transaction Summary
    ===============================================================================================================================================================================================================
    Install 1 Package(s)


    Total download size: 690 k
    Installed size: 3.3 M
    Is this ok [y/N]:




    Mit freundlichen Gr??en
    Andreas Reschke
    ________________________________________________________________


    Unix/Linux-Administration
    Andreas.Reschke at behrgroup.com
  • Gelen James at Dec 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm
    Hi all,


    ?Has any one used any log archiving tools? Please suggest one that's your favorite.


    Presently I have a project to archive raw log files on hundreds of Centos boxes to a central server and stored there for two years. The basic requirements of the project are:


    ?1, The log files will be sent from hundreds of Centos clients with a client side agent or similar.
    ?2, better there is a client side configuration file which specify log files to archive
    ?3, a server side configuration file specified where to logs from host ( or host groups), and the directory structure to store log files
    ?4, better there is a way to remove duplication of log files, i.e. md5 checksum, time stamp, etc.


    Open source or commercial are both fine. And there is no need to do the indexing or other further processing, just raw files is fine.


    Thanks a lot.


    ~Rob
  • Les Mikesell at Dec 7, 2012 at 5:42 pm

    On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Gelen James wrote:
    Hi all,

    Has any one used any log archiving tools? Please suggest one that's your favorite.

    Presently I have a project to archive raw log files on hundreds of Centos boxes to a central server and stored there for two years. The basic requirements of the project are:

    1, The log files will be sent from hundreds of Centos clients with a client side agent or similar.
    2, better there is a client side configuration file which specify log files to archive
    3, a server side configuration file specified where to logs from host ( or host groups), and the directory structure to store log files
    4, better there is a way to remove duplication of log files, i.e. md5 checksum, time stamp, etc.

    Open source or commercial are both fine. And there is no need to do the indexing or other further processing, just raw files is fine.

    I've done this for specific applications with some simple shell
    scripts using rsync over ssh, but it has to mesh with the way the log
    files roll over and are renamed. I don't think there is a generic
    tool. If you just want archived daily snapshot copies, you could use
    backuppc to back up /var/log on the targets. It will compress files
    and de-dup exact file content matches with hard links to a pooled
    instance even where the file has been renamed (like logrotate does).
    That approach doesn't get you a handy way to analyze anything over a
    long time span or look at more than one file as a stream - but you
    could have it working in a few hours and it will be very efficient
    with disk usage.


    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com
  • Leon Fauster at Dec 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

    Am 07.12.2012 um 18:09 schrieb Gelen James:
    Has any one used any log archiving tools? Please suggest one that's your favorite.

    Presently I have a project to archive raw log files on hundreds of Centos boxes to a central server and stored there for two years. The basic requirements of the project are:

    1, The log files will be sent from hundreds of Centos clients with a client side agent or similar.
    2, better there is a client side configuration file which specify log files to archive
    3, a server side configuration file specified where to logs from host ( or host groups), and the directory structure to store log files
    4, better there is a way to remove duplication of log files, i.e. md5 checksum, time stamp, etc.

    Open source or commercial are both fine. And there is no need to do the indexing or other further processing, just raw files is fine.



    what about syslog's capability to send all logs to a
    central syslog server (check /etc/sysconfig/syslog for the server
    part and /etc/syslog.conf for the client part)?


    applications/scripts can log also via "logger" - like
    echo test | /usr/bin/logger -i -t "appname" -p user.notice


    the archive part can be done on the syslog server centrally
    (e.g. use rsnapshot to provide daily, weekly, monthly cascades of /var/log)


    --
    LF
  • SilverTip257 at Dec 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm

    On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:


    Am 07.12.2012 um 18:09 schrieb Gelen James:
    Has any one used any log archiving tools? Please suggest one that's
    your favorite.
    Presently I have a project to archive raw log files on hundreds of
    Centos boxes to a central server and stored there for two years. The basic
    requirements of the project are:
    1, The log files will be sent from hundreds of Centos clients with a
    client side agent or similar.
    2, better there is a client side configuration file which specify log
    files to archive
    3, a server side configuration file specified where to logs from host (
    or host groups), and the directory structure to store log files
    4, better there is a way to remove duplication of log files, i.e. md5
    checksum, time stamp, etc.
    Open source or commercial are both fine. And there is no need to do the
    indexing or other further processing, just raw files is fine.


    what about syslog's capability to send all logs to a
    central syslog server (check /etc/sysconfig/syslog for the server
    part and /etc/syslog.conf for the client part)?
    +1 for a centralized syslog server ... it's the ideal tool for the job


    rsyslog is part of the CentOS Base for EL6
    syslog-ng is packaged in EPEL (if it's preferred over sysklogd or rsyslog)



    applications/scripts can log also via "logger" - like
    echo test | /usr/bin/logger -i -t "appname" -p user.notice

    the archive part can be done on the syslog server centrally
    (e.g. use rsnapshot to provide daily, weekly, monthly cascades of /var/log)

    --
    LF




    _______________________________________________
    CentOS mailing list
    CentOS at centos.org
    http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
  • Ibrahim Yurtseven at Dec 7, 2012 at 9:45 pm

    Robert Moskowitz wrote:
    Just tried to install gftp, and no package found.
    Where is it?
    pkgs.org is a cool website to browse a lot of el repos online for software
    --
    Ibrahim "Arastirmacilar" Yurtseven
    2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.i686
  • Sorin Srbu at Dec 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

    -----Original Message-----
    From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
    Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
    Sent: den 7 december 2012 14:29
    To: centos at centos.org
    Subject: [CentOS] gftp ?

    Centos 6.3

    Just tried to install gftp, and no package found.

    Where is it? I do have EPEL included in yum. I am rather addictived to
    using it for SCP-based file moves between systems...

    I rather like gftp as well, but have drifted over a bit to Filezilla. It
    does scp/sftp as well.


    Anyway, check RPMforge for gftp.
    --
    /Sorin

Related Discussions