FAQ

[CentOS] kvm as non-root user

David McGuffey
Jul 2, 2010 at 6:54 am
Tried as I might, I cannot get kvm on CentOS 5.4 to run as a non-root
user. Have Googled and followed guidance I've found (put the regular
user in the kvm group, change permissions on several files, etc.).

Anyone have decent (e.g., working) guidance on how to do this?

Dave M
reply

Search Discussions

3 responses

  • Arun Khan at Jul 2, 2010 at 8:39 am

    On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM, David McGuffey wrote:
    Tried as I might, I cannot get kvm on CentOS 5.4 to run as a non-root
    user.
    Post the error message.
    Have Googled and followed guidance I've found (put the regular
    user in the kvm group, change permissions on several files, etc.).

    Anyone have decent (e.g., working) guidance on how to do this?
    The output of "ls -l /dev/kvm" should be like this:

    crw-rw----+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 2010-07-02 09:27 /dev/kvm

    I have not had to do anything special as long as the non root user is
    member of "kvm" group.

    HTH
    -- Arun Khan
  • David McGuffey at Jul 3, 2010 at 7:58 am
    Yes, I already get that output. I also made sure that the xml scripts
    and the VM images are not root:root, but root:kvm.

    I'm using the Virtual Machine Manager GUI as the interface...that is
    where I get challenged for the root pw. Maybe I need to go to create a
    script that runs qemu-kvm as the regular user to start the VMs.

    Dave M
    On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 18:09 +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
    On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM, David McGuffey
    wrote:
    Tried as I might, I cannot get kvm on CentOS 5.4 to run as a non-root
    user.
    Post the error message.
    Have Googled and followed guidance I've found (put the regular
    user in the kvm group, change permissions on several files, etc.).

    Anyone have decent (e.g., working) guidance on how to do this?
    The output of "ls -l /dev/kvm" should be like this:

    crw-rw----+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 2010-07-02 09:27 /dev/kvm

    I have not had to do anything special as long as the non root user is
    member of "kvm" group.

    HTH
    -- Arun Khan
    _______________________________________________
    CentOS mailing list
    CentOS at centos.org
    http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
  • David McGuffey at Jul 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

    On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 07:58 -0400, David McGuffey wrote:
    Yes, I already get that output. I also made sure that the xml scripts
    and the VM images are not root:root, but root:kvm.

    I'm using the Virtual Machine Manager GUI as the interface...that is
    where I get challenged for the root pw. Maybe I need to go to create a
    script that runs qemu-kvm as the regular user to start the VMs.

    Dave M
    On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 18:09 +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
    On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM, David McGuffey
    wrote:
    Tried as I might, I cannot get kvm on CentOS 5.4 to run as a non-root
    user.
    Post the error message.
    Have Googled and followed guidance I've found (put the regular
    user in the kvm group, change permissions on several files, etc.).

    Anyone have decent (e.g., working) guidance on how to do this?
    The output of "ls -l /dev/kvm" should be like this:

    crw-rw----+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 2010-07-02 09:27 /dev/kvm

    I have not had to do anything special as long as the non root user is
    member of "kvm" group.

    HTH
    -- Arun Khan
    In /usr/bin, here is what I find.

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9230 Apr 2 22:31 virt-clone
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10322 Apr 2 22:31 virt-convert
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12000 Apr 2 22:31 virt-image
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34482 Apr 2 22:31 virt-install
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 May 16 22:34 virt-manager
    -> ../bin/consolehelper
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34040 Sep 3 2009 virt-viewer
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3505 Mar 31 05:02 virt-xml-validate

    And looking through the virsh manual, here is what I find:

    Most virsh commands require root privileges to run due to the
    communications channels used to talk to the hypervisor. Running as non
    root will return an error.

    Seems all paths to managing VMs has to go through root.

    Dave M

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post

2 users in discussion

David McGuffey: 3 posts Arun Khan: 1 post