[CentOS] How to display laptop screen on LCD TV?

Hce
Feb 14, 2010 at 5:44 am
Hi,

I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
"Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".

How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
(Sony KDL-40V5500)?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jupiter
reply

  • Marcelo M. Garcia at Feb 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

    hce wrote:
    Hi,

    I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
    on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
    mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
    "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".
    Hi

    Resolution?

    Or, you have to configure something like xinerama or twinview. I not
    sure but I think twinview is a NVIDIA feature.

    Regards

    mg.
  • Eero Volotinen at Feb 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

    I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
    on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
    mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
    "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".

    How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
    (Sony KDL-40V5500)?
    What is type of display card on computer?

    Some, like nvidia and ati provides gui tools to configure settings.

    --
    Eero
  • Hce at Feb 14, 2010 at 10:50 am

    I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
    on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
    mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
    "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".

    How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
    (Sony KDL-40V5500)?
    What is type of display card on computer?
    Acer Inspire Aspire 5920 laptop with Intel Corporation Mobile
    GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03).
    Some, like nvidia and ati provides gui tools to configure settings.
    I actually tried to run system-config-display --reconfig for Sony
    KDL-40V5500 LCD TV, it generated a new xorg.conf and I restarted
    laptop, but still could not run X window on LCD TV. Please correct me,
    but I thought if the xorg.conf is reconfigurated, it should work
    unless that the CentOS 5.2 does not support the type of Sony LCD?

    Thanks for your help.

    Kind regards,

    Jupiter
  • Eero Volotinen at Feb 14, 2010 at 1:15 pm

[...]

    Automatic configuration is not always perfect, you need to find out
    correct values for this kind of television.
    Just enter manually correct modelines using manual of tv.
    --
    Eero
  • Bob McConnell at Feb 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

    hce wrote:
    Hi,

    I am running CentOS 5.2 on Acer laptop, I try to display laptop screen
    on a LCD TV via VGA cable. It was fine while PC was booting in text
    mode, but as soon as I started X Window, the LCD TV has error
    "Unsupported signal, adjust your PC out".

    How can I adjust or may be regenerate an xorg.conf for the LCD TV
    (Sony KDL-40V5500)?
    This is not an uncommon problem with flat panel displays, and is hardly
    limited to one distribution. Step one is to find out what resolutions,
    horizontal and vertical frequencies the internal display can handle.
    Step two is to find out what combinations the video chips can generate.
    Step three is finding out which combinations the TV can accept. Once you
    determine where all three sets overlap, you configure X to use the
    mutually acceptable options. You may end up with an unusable lowest
    common denominator doing this, so look into any multi-display options
    while you are collecting the data.

    Bob McConnell
    N2SPP