[CentOS] enabling maildir @ cli

Ray Leventhal
Jun 13, 2008 at 7:28 pm
Hi all,

I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have run into
the following instruction:

-----
Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
configuration.
----

Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
-Ray
reply

  • Matt Hyclak at Jun 13, 2008 at 7:30 pm

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:28:28PM -0400, Ray Leventhal enlightened us:
    I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have run into
    the following instruction:

    -----
    Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
    the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
    Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
    configuration.
    ----

    Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
    accomplish this?
    You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

    Matt

    --
    Matt Hyclak
    Department of Mathematics
    Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
    the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
    Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
    configuration.
    ----

    Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
    accomplish this?
    You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

    Matt
    If it were an ISPConfig question, I would...I simply was asking what the
    matching command line was for a corresponding action in X. Please let
    me know if I'm wrong, but this isn't OT, nor is it ISPConfig related.
  • Matt Hyclak at Jun 13, 2008 at 7:47 pm

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:41:48PM -0400, Ray Leventhal enlightened us:
    -
    Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
    the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
    Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
    configuration.
    ----

    Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
    accomplish this?
    You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

    Matt
    If it were an ISPConfig question, I would...I simply was asking what the
    matching command line was for a corresponding action in X. Please let
    me know if I'm wrong, but this isn't OT, nor is it ISPConfig related.
    Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email is most likely an ISPConfig thing,
    since I don't recall ever seeing that in a CentOS menu anywhere. So without
    knowing what that is doing, we can't tell you what commands you might run
    over SSH to make the equivalent changes.

    Most likely it involves changing the configuration file for your MTA
    (Postfix, exim, sendmail) - but again, we don't know what that is, so we
    can't tell you.

    There's not going to be one magic command you can run to "enable Maildir" on
    your server.

    Matt

    --
    Matt Hyclak
    Department of Mathematics

    Ray Leventhal wrote:
    -
    Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig
    on the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management
    -> Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
    configuration.
    ----

    Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI
    to accomplish this?
    You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.

    Matt
    If it were an ISPConfig question, I would...I simply was asking what
    the matching command line was for a corresponding action in X. Please
    let me know if I'm wrong, but this isn't OT, nor is it ISPConfig related.
    what is the question then? is it how to configure dovecot to use maildir
    or how to configure the MTA (postfix, sendmail, ...) to deliver to
    maildir or how to configure the MDA (maildrop, procmail, ...) to deliver
    to maildir?

    if it's to configure dovecot to use maildir instead of mbox, then the
    dovecot list and docs are a better place. the short answer is something like
    mail_location = maildir:/var/Mail/domains/%d/%n/Maildir
    in dovecot.conf. but we cannot reproduce dovecot documentation here.

    but you'd better have the MTA or MDA deliver to the same place. the easy
    way is to use dovecot LDA as your delivery agent.
  • Mouss at Jun 13, 2008 at 7:44 pm

    Matt Hyclak wrote:
    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:28:28PM -0400, Ray Leventhal enlightened us:
    I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have run into
    the following instruction:

    -----
    Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install ISPConfig on
    the server, please make sure you enable Maildir under Management ->
    Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will then do the necessary
    configuration.
    ----

    Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the CLI to
    accomplish this?
    You'll probably want to ask the ISPConfig folks.
    indeed. That said:
    - dovecot supports mbox as well.
    - what is the benefit of a gui when one uses ssh... ?
  • S.Tindall at Jun 13, 2008 at 7:42 pm

    I'm following a how-to for ISPConfig using CentOS5.1 and have
    run into the following instruction:

    -----
    Dovecot uses Maildir format (not mbox), so if you install
    ISPConfig on the server, please make sure you enable Maildir
    under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email. ISPConfig will
    then do the necessary configuration.
    ----

    Since I'm ssh'd in to the box and X isn't installed, what's the
    CLI to accomplish this?

    # vi /etc/dovecot.conf

    See: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix

    Or: http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir

    When all else fails, read the instructions.

    Steve
  • Ray Leventhal at Jun 13, 2008 at 7:53 pm
    Thanks for the answers, pointers and help.

    Haste makes not only waste, but exposes inexperience, as it has done
    here. (my own, of course)