Hi, there,

I tried to install Centos 5.1 on a Dell Inspiron 530 box I just bought, but
failed due to invalid drive. The installation did not recognize either the
DVD nor the hard disk. Joseph from the community said it is likely that
Centos can't recognize the controller -- Intel SATA controller (cmiiw).

Did anyone solve this problem before? How did you do it?

Here's the related configuration for my box:
Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core
Technology and 8MB cache
SATA 0: Samsung HD501LJ (500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM))
SATA 1: PDBS DVD +/- RW DH-16W1S (16X DVD+/-RW Drive)

Many thanks!

regards,
-Hui
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Jason at Mar 17, 2008 at 5:16 pm
    boot with

    linux all-generic-ide

    or try to change your bios sata emulation to ahci

    Yu-Hui Jin wrote:
    Hi, there,

    I tried to install Centos 5.1 on a Dell Inspiron 530 box I just bought,
    but failed due to invalid drive. The installation did not recognize
    either the DVD nor the hard disk. Joseph from the community said it is
    likely that Centos can't recognize the controller -- Intel SATA
    controller (cmiiw).

    Did anyone solve this problem before? How did you do it?

    Here's the related configuration for my box:
    Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core
    Technology and 8MB cache
    SATA 0: Samsung HD501LJ (500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM))
    SATA 1: PDBS DVD +/- RW DH-16W1S (16X DVD+/-RW Drive)

    Many thanks!

    regards,
    -Hui

  • Yu-Hui Jin at Mar 18, 2008 at 6:21 am
    Hi, Jason,

    Thanks and I tried the first method to start with the parameter, but it was
    extremely slow loading each screen. one time I got to the testing media page
    and i chose Test. and it seemed stuck there for ever so I forced shutdown my
    box.

    I also tried to download and install the AHCI driver following this article:

    http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t0865

    But the installation failed; it said The computer does not meet the minimum
    requirements for installing this software.

    It seemed that no trick has worked yet... any new suggestion or advice?

    Thanks,

    -Hui

    Yu-Hui Jin wrote:
[...]

  • John Bowden at Mar 18, 2008 at 7:23 pm

    Thanks and I tried the first method to start with the parameter, but it was
    extremely slow loading each screen. one time I got to the testing media
    page and i chose Test. and it seemed stuck there for ever so I forced
    shutdown my box.
    That's because you are using the drive in IDE mode with a general work
    with "most controllers driver". Might be worth giving it time to finish the
    installation and let CentOS go online and find the correct driver.
    I also tried to download and install the AHCI driver following this
    article:

    http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t0865
    Not on line at the moment so can't follow the link at the moment
    But the installation failed; it said The computer does not meet the minimum
    requirements for installing this software.
    Sounds like the installation is not finding the correct controller chip, is it
    the correct driver?

    Yu-Hui Jin wrote:
    Hi, there,

    I tried to install Centos 5.1 on a Dell Inspiron 530 box I just bought,
    but failed due to invalid drive. The installation did not recognize
    either the DVD nor the hard disk. Joseph from the community said it is
    likely that Centos can't recognize the controller -- Intel SATA
    controller (cmiiw).

    Did anyone solve this problem before? How did you do it?

    Here's the related configuration for my box:
    Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core
    Technology and 8MB cache
    SATA 0: Samsung HD501LJ (500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM))
    SATA 1: PDBS DVD +/- RW DH-16W1S (16X DVD+/-RW Drive)

    Many thanks!

    regards,
    -Hui

    Was there an operating system (M$?) on the machine before you tried to upgrade
    the O/S to CentOS and if so did the controller have access to both drives?
    What is the controller that the drives are connected to?
    Regards John

    --
    Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
    with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)

    Many thanks!

    -Hui

    Yu-Hui Jin wrote:
[...]

  • Dennis McLeod at Mar 18, 2008 at 11:28 pm
    Here ya go....
    5 minutes....

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux
    <http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&
    message.id701&query.id4245#M12701>
    &message.id701&query.id4245#M12701

    _____

    Yu-Hui Jin wrote:
[...]

  • Yu-Hui Jin at Mar 19, 2008 at 5:51 am

    Thanks! I tried network installation (using HTTP though), but the harddisk
    can't be recognized during the partitioning step. It seems to me this NFS
    network described in this article would have the same problem.

    am I wrong in thinking this way? (i don't have a second linux to do the NFS
    install so I'm suspicious about whether i should really give this a try.)

    It seems installing AHCI is the only way to go to me....

    -Hui

    -Hui

    Yu-Hui Jin wrote:
[...]

  • Scott Silva at Mar 19, 2008 at 2:53 pm
    on 3-18-2008 10:51 PM Yu-Hui Jin spake the following:
    Here ya go....
    5 minutes....

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&message.id701&query.id4245#M12701
    <http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&message.id701&query.id4245#M12701>

    Thanks! I tried network installation (using HTTP though), but the
    harddisk can't be recognized during the partitioning step. It seems to
    me this NFS network described in this article would have the same problem.

    am I wrong in thinking this way? (i don't have a second linux to do the
    NFS install so I'm suspicious about whether i should really give this a
    try.)

    It seems installing AHCI is the only way to go to me....
    Look at the link again. You don't install AHCI, it is an option in your bios
    to change the sata emulation mode. Again, you don't install AHCI.

    --
    MailScanner is like deodorant...
    You hope everybody uses it, and