[CentOS] CentOS 5.1 - equivalent of xorg-x11 ?

Tom Brown
Feb 25, 2008 at 3:45 pm
Hi

If i want to add X to a system after install on CentOS 4 that would be a
yum install xorg-x11 etc

This package seems to have been renamed in CentOS 5 and i wonder if
anyone can tell me what that now is please

thanks
reply

  • Jim Perrin at Feb 25, 2008 at 3:56 pm

    If i want to add X to a system after install on CentOS 4 that would be a
    yum install xorg-x11 etc

    This package seems to have been renamed in CentOS 5 and i wonder if
    anyone can tell me what that now is please

    run the following command with the quotes: yum groupinfo 'X Window System'

    This will show you all the packages in that group, which are likely
    what you need. If you want, you can simply install that group.

    George Orwell
  • Ross S. W. Walker at Feb 25, 2008 at 3:58 pm

    Tom Brown wrote:
    Hi

    If i want to add X to a system after install on CentOS 4 that
    would be a
    yum install xorg-x11 etc

    This package seems to have been renamed in CentOS 5 and i wonder if
    anyone can tell me what that now is please
    yum groupinstall base-x

    -Ross

  • Johnny Hughes at Feb 25, 2008 at 4:01 pm

    Tom Brown wrote:
    Hi

    If i want to add X to a system after install on CentOS 4 that would be a
    yum install xorg-x11 etc

    This package seems to have been renamed in CentOS 5 and i wonder if
    anyone can tell me what that now is please
    yum groupinstall "X Window System"

    and also pick the GUI that you want from:

    "GNOME Desktop Environment"

    or

    "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

    or

    "XFCE-4.4"

    and add that on the end of the about groupisntall command ... like this
    for KDE:

    yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"