[Cassandra-user] Any improvements in Cassandra JDBC driver ?

Dinusha Dilrukshi
Mar 29, 2012 at 4:42 am
Hi,

We are using Cassandra JDBC driver (found in [1]) to call to Cassandra
sever using CQL and JDBC calls. One of the main disadvantage is, this
driver is not available in maven repository where people can publicly
access. Currently we have to checkout the source and build ourselves. Is
there any possibility to host this driver in a maven repository ?

And one of the other limitation in driver is, it does not support for the
insert query. If we need to do a insert , then it can be done using the
"update" statement. So basically it will be same query used for both UPDATE
and INSERT. As an example, if you execute following query:
"update USER set 'username'=?, 'password'=? where key = ?"
and if the provided 'KEY' already exist in the Column family then it will
do a update to existing columns. If the provided KEY does not already
exist, then it will do a insert..
Is that the INSERT query option is now available in latest driver?

Are there any other improvements/supports added to this driver recently ?

Is this driver compatible with Cassandra-1.1.0 and is that the changes done
for driver will be backward compatible with older Cassandra versions
(1.0.0) ?

[1]. http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-jdbc/<http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-jdbc/>

Regards,
~Dinusha~
reply

  • Jeremiah Jordan at Mar 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm
    There is no such thing as pure insert which will give an error if the thing already exists. Everything is really "UPDATE OR INSERT". Whether you say UPDATE, or INSERT, it will all act like "UPDATE OR INSERT", if the thing is there it get over written, if it isn't there it gets inserted.

    -Jeremiah

    ________________________________
[...]

  • Dinusha Dilrukshi at Mar 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    What I want to tell was this driver does not use INSERT key word. Since
    CQL support for using INSERT keyword and it is more generic key word used
    to add new records, it's more user friendly to use INSERT key word to add
    new record set rather using UPDATE keyword.

    Regards,
    ~Dinusha~

    ------------------------------

    ?

    Is this driver compatible with Cassandra-1.1.0 and is that the changes
    done for driver will be backward compatible with older Cassandra versions
    (1.0.0) ?

    [1]. http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-jdbc/<http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-jdbc/>

    Regards,
    ~Dinusha~
  • R. Verlangen at Mar 29, 2012 at 6:25 pm
    The best would to not use update / insert at all but "set" / "put" / "save".

    Cheers!

    --
    With kind regards,

    Robin Verlangen