Grokbase Groups Ant user April 2015
All,

I have searched online and can't fine and answer so please bear with me.

When I run ANT it says it can't find tools in the JRE lib, why is it looking
there?

If I copy tools.jar from the JDK to the JRE lib it works fine but that will
break on the next update so I would prefer to fix it correctly.

I have rebooted and retested.

There are no extra JDK or JRE values in the path, path simplified to only
show useful values.

I dumped the SET values to text files and search and don't fine any
references to JRE there either.

In settings:

PATH = .;%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%ANT_HOME%\bin;

Converts to:

PATH = .;C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_05\bin;C:\devenv\apache-ant-1.9.4\bin;

C:\Projects>SET JAVA_HOME

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_05

C:\Projects>SET ANT_HOME

ANT_HOME=C:\devenv\apache-ant-1.9.4

Error:

C:\Projects>ant -version

Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.8.0_45\lib\tools.jar

Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.4 compiled on April 29 2014

So what am I doing wrong, thanks.

John

Search Discussions

  • Grüner Heinrich at Apr 27, 2015 at 4:56 pm
    Run it with the jdk.
[...]

  • John J. Hughes II at Apr 27, 2015 at 5:43 pm
    Run what with JDK?

    Run it with the jdk.
[...]

  • Soni, Ashish IN BLR STS at Apr 28, 2015 at 4:42 am
    In windows system, SET JAVA_HOME e.g. "SET JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_31" before running the ant build file.

[...]

  • Jan Matèrne (jhm) at Apr 28, 2015 at 5:13 am
    Ant is a build tool. For some tasks (for example javac, javadoc) the tools
    from the Java _Development_ Kit are required.
    If you run with just a Java _Runtime_ Environment most of its tasks could be
    used, but not all - hence the warning.

    Set your JAVA_HOME to the installation path of your JDK.

    http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#installing
    "Optionally, set the JAVA_HOME environment variable (see the Advanced
    section below). This should be set to the directory where your JDK is
    installed."

    http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#advanced
    "When you need JDK functionality (such as for the javac task or the rmic
    task), then tools.jar must be added. The scripts supplied with Ant, in the
    bin directory, will add the required JDK classes automatically, if the
    JAVA_HOME environment variable is set."

    Jan
[...]

  • Earl Hood at Apr 28, 2015 at 5:38 am