From: "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: IntakeService

"Colin Chalmers" <> writes:
I'd like to check-in the changes I've made to the IntakeService as
earlier on the List. The changes are numerous but relatively small.
Hopefully things should be a little clearer as to how it works and paves
the road for further improvements after 2.3 is out the door.
I'll give a quick run-down here as to the main things that been
added/altered. To whom should I send the new files/diffs??
As you don't seem to have any user-visible changes (necessary changes to the
intake.xml file), I'm all +1 on this.

If you have user visible changes, then I'm +0 unless you supply a
small "you must change this to get from there to here" file for the
docs. Then I'm +1 again. :-)

Intake is an area where every patch helps. I'm still pretty amazed how
someone could conceive such a strange piece of code that actually does
something. My first contacts with intake still make me shudder when I
think back...

So basically: I'm all for it. Do you have Committer right on the CVS?
If not, send the patches to me and I'll review and check in.

Reasoning behind changes:
I was experiencing difficulty in validating (specifically) numbers, found
the implementation of a number of validations to be unclear and found
duplication of code. The validation of numbers was based on using
for all number types. This has been seperated to support shorts/longs
which now all subclass an abstract NumberValidator which in turn
an abstract DefaultValidator which as BaseClass contains all Rules/info
which are common to all Validators. StringValidator is therefore a
of DefaultValidator and deals only with Strings as the name says.
UML diagram is available upon request.
1. package;
A) ShortField - to support Shorts
B) LongField - to support Longs
A) FieldFactory - to support afore mentioned new Fields
B) StringKeyField - deprecated
2. package;
A) BigDecimalValidator - extends NumberValidator and validates
B) DoubleValidator - extends NumberValidator and validates Doubles
C) FloatValidator - extends NumberValidator and validates Floats
D) LongValidator - extends NumberValidator and validates Longs
E) ShortValidator - extends NumberValidator and validates Shorts
F) StringValidator - subclasses DefaultValidator and validates Strings
A) DefaultValidator - Abstract Base class for all Validators
B) NumberValidator - Abstract class that extends DefaultValidator to deal
with number types
C) IntegerValidator - extends NumberValidator and validates Ints
D) FileValidator - extends DefaultValidator
I'd like to have these changes tested by others, welcome feedback and
fix any probs should they emerge.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen INTERMETA GmbH +49 9131 50 654 0

freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire