Grokbase Groups Tomcat dev June 2006

[Tomcat-dev] NIO Connector, please review

Dakota Jack
Jun 23, 2006 at 5:43 am
I am interested in this code. Is there a way I can see the code? Thanks.

On 6/22/06, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

Here is another test that I ran from a remote machine, setting
maxThreads="25" and ab concurrency to 50 and keepalive on.
In this case, NIO is a lot faster. Turn off keepalive on ab, and we get
similar results to previous run, where BIO is a tad faster.

Scaling the thread per connection model is done by increasing the amount
of threads. This particular test demonstrates the obvious.

yes, what is interesting though, is my NIO connector is not really true
NIO, as it ties up a thread while polling for data. The true implementation
would have not invoked that thread yet, but for that I would have had to
rewritten the connector from scratch as I couldn't have taken advantage of
code already written and tested.
The reason it was done like this, is cause that way I could use almost all
the code from the APR connector.
So you could call it a semi-"thread-per-connection" model, yet handles
better than the true thread per connection model.
APR does the same thing.

If I understand the results correctly, the results would be acceptable on
Unix.

yes, I think they are looking pretty good. And I am fairly confident in
this new code, as most of it, is old tested APR code.

Filip

--

Filip Hanik

~Dakota Jack~