[Struts-user] best way to ajaxize a Struts2 application

Frank W. Zammetti
Dec 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm
Depends very much on what your goals and requirements are. Do you want to
just sprinkle in some AJAX calls to your server? Pretty much any library
or plug-in will do the trick pretty well for you.

Are you looking for a whole GUI toolkit? If so I'd personally suggest
ExtJS as being the best, but others are more than worthy of being
considered (Dojo, YUI, jQuery UI to name a few).

Any of them can be used just fine with Struts... I'm personally of the
opinion that life is beter without Struts (ExtJS+DWR is a magnificent
beast IMO) but this is of course the Struts mailing list and lots of
people still find plenty of value in Struts and that's perfectly fine, any
of these libraries, and others, can be mixed in with Struts without much
effort. I in fact still support a couple of Struts-based applications and
we've used Dojo and ExtJS in some of them with no problem, even adding
them after the fact.

Again though, really depends on what your needs actually are... just
augmenting a Struts-based app or developing a true RIA? What best answers
your question will be heavily influenced by that factor, among others.

hth,
Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical Palm Pre webOS Projects"