Grokbase Groups Struts dev March 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Jim Cushing wrote:
P.S. By "rather poor designs features" of Struts 1, I refer primarily
to choice of making Actions singletons, which required a separate
ActionForm bean. As I've read the history of Struts 1, WebWork, and
Struts 2, much of it written by the members of this list, I see that
they've acknowledge the drawbacks of that approach and have learned
from it. By no means did I mean to disparage the Struts 1 team. The
nature of software is that it gets better with time as we refine our
designs.

That said, it's interesting that the Spring MVC team decided not to
learn from, and instead repeat, this mistake.
It's useful to remember that decisions like this (for any framework)
were not made in a vacuum. Instead, they were influenced by the
technology available at the time. In the case at hand, Struts 1 was
designed in the days when JDK 1.1 was the predominant platform, and
object creation/GC was so expensive that anyone who profligately
creates lots of objects per request (the way that many modern
frameworks do it) would have been considered patently insane :-).
After that point, and especially for a framework that achieved the
popularity that Struts 1 did, backwards compatibility for existing
applications became a pretty strong motivation not to change something
this fundamental lightly. Note, for example, that servlets are
*still* singletons, even ten years later.

Craig McClanahan