On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
For reasons which I don't care about Sun may not apply to be a gsoc
organization this year. However, I'm not discouraged from trying to propose
some exciting zfs related ideas. On/off list feel free to send your vote,
let me know if you can mentor or if you know a company that could use it.

Here's more or less what I've collected...

1) Excess ditto block removing + other green-bytes zfs+ features - *open
source* (very hard.. can't be done in two months)
2) raidz boot support (planning phase and suitable student already found.
could use more docs/info for proposal)
3) Additional zfs compression choices (good for archiving non-text files?
4) zfs cli interface to add safety checks (save your butt from deleting a
pool worth more than your job)
5) Web or gui based admin interface
6) zfs defrag (was mentioned by someone working around petabytes of
data..)
7) vdev evacuation as an upgrade path (which may depend or take advantage
of zfs resize/shrink code)
8) zfs restore/repair tools (being worked on already?)
9) Timeslider ported to kde4.2 ( *cough* couldn't resist, but put this on
the list)
10) Did I miss something..

#2 Currently planning and collecting as much information for the proposal
as possible. Today all ufs + solaris grub2 issues were resolved and will
likely be committed to upstream soon. There is a one liner fix in the
solaris kernel also needed, but that can be binary hacked worst case.

#5/9 This also may be possible for an outside project.. either web showcase
or tighter desktop integration..

The rest may just be too difficult in a two month period, not something
which can go upstream or not enough time to really plan well enough.. Even
if this isn't done for gsoc it may still be possible for the community to
pursue some of these..

To be a mentor will most likely require answering daily/weekly technical
questions, ideally being on irc and having patience. On top of this I'll be
available to help as much as technically possible, keep the student
motivated and the projects on schedule.

./Christopher
I know plenty of "home users" would like the ability to add a single disk to
a raid-z vdev in order to grow a disk at a time.

--Tim