[Catalyst] Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade)

Kieren Diment
Feb 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

On 13/02/2012, at 11:56 PM, Evan Carew wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Compiling my own perl build was really a last
ditch option I regarded as admitting defeat, i.e., fixing / finding the
actual problem wa deemed to difficult.
I used to think that too. Now (given I strongly prefer the relocatable perl approach) I find that I very rarely need to build a new perl. And it saves me many headaches with worrying about, and fighting with the system perl. Especially with cpanminus. But I am me and you are you. I take the blame[1] for local perl infrastructure on debian, ubuntu, os x, windows and solaris systems, and this approach works well for me (I use strawberry relocatable for windows, which means I find solaris a bigger headache than windows for the most part - the others are pretty much incident free). Now that we have cpanminus I would never go back to OS package manager based systems if I could help it.

[1] Blame is not the same as responsibility.
Late last night, after going through the build logs in much greater detail,
I noticed that a number of packages were asking for module builder of a
recent vintage. Turns out that this was the root of the problem. Module
builder needed to update itself, however, somewhere along the line, module
builder broke its ability to update itself more than one point release at a
time. Once I fixed this, Catalyst updated just fine.