Hi Adam,

Sorry for the late response.
For example, say I have a "worker pool" with 40
QueueingConsumers (ie 40 separate channels). I believe it is
completely fine to keep these channels (and underlying connection(s))
open indefinitely, is this correct?
It probably is. Channels don't require a lot of resources to keep
running, on neither the server nor the client side.
In this long-running situation,
what is the optimal number of underlying connections for these 40
channels?
We did some tests a while ago and we couldn't find much difference in
throughput between running multiple channels on a single connection or on
multiple connections.

Note that connections use up the limited file descriptors, so you
wouldn't be able to run a very large number of connections at the same
time.

I suspect it's better (and easier) to have all the channels running on
the same connection.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers,
Alex