I know the differences between strings and bitstrings but, why don't we
allways use one of them? why sometimes strings and others bitstrings?
Because some of the fields are part of the actual AMQP methods and some
are just used by the client. The fields in the AMQP methods are going
to be sent over the network, and the client will not inspect them, so
they're binaries.

So, host is a string because the client uses that to open the
connection, but routing_key is a binary because it's a parameter in the
methods and is blindly sent over the network.

You have to use the right one (string or binary), of course, otherwise,
you get errors from deep inside the client.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex