Grokbase Groups R r-help April 2016
It is hard to tell from the information that you have provided. Do you
have a list of the sizes of all the objects that you have in memory? Are
you releasing large objects at the end of each simulation run? Are you
using 'gc' to garbage collect any memory after deallocating objects?
Collect some additional information with a simple function like below:

f_mem_stats <- function(memo='') cat(memo, proc.time(), memory.size(), '\n')

f_mem_stats(2)
2 2.85 11.59 85444.93 NA NA 39.08

This will print out what you pass in as a parameter, e.g., the iteration
number, and then outputs the amount of CPU and memory used so far. I use
this all the time to keep track of resource consumption in long running
scripts.

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru