My general rule of thumb is that I should have 3-4 times as much RAM as the
largest object that I am working with. So hopefully you have at least 4 GB
of RAM on your system. Also exactly what processing (packages, functions,
algorithms, etc.) are you using. So functions may create multiple copies,
or they may create temporary objects bigger than the original. So help us
out and provide more information. You might be able to add virtual memory,
but this may slow down your process quite a bit with paging. If you do go
this direction, then learn how to use the performance monitoring tools on
your system to see what is happening.?

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru