From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch [mailto:r-help-
bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Ravi Varadhan
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 6:17 PM
To: 'RHelp'
Subject: [R] Can't figure out warning message

Hi,

I apologize for the previous posting, where the message was not formatted
properly. Here is a better version:

I have written the following function to check whether a vector has
elements
satisfying monotonicity.

is.monotone <- function(vec, increase=T){

ans <- TRUE

vec.nomis <- vec[!is.na(vec)]

if (increase & any(diff(vec.nomis,1) < 0, na.rm=T)) ans <- FALSE

if (!increase & any(diff(vec.nomis,1) > 0, na.rm=T)) ans <- FALSE

ans

}

This works correctly, but I get this error message as below.

x <- 2:10
is.monotone(x)
[1] TRUE

Warning messages:

1: the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
in:
if (increase & any(diff(vec.nomis, 1) < 0, na.rm = T)) ans <- FALSE

2: the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
in:
if (!increase & any(diff(vec.nomis, 1) > 0, na.rm = T)) ans <- FALSE

I am unable to see why the condition should have a length greater than 1,
since "any" should give me a single logical value.

Can any one tell me what is going on here? (I am using version 2.1.1 on
Windows).

Thanks very much,

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: <mailto:rvaradhan@jhmi.edu> rvaradhan at jhmi.edu