On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Who is responding or has responded?
Extreme Programmers, Python-Hardliner, Python-Evangelists, ... .
Presumably no core Python Programmers (wrting compiler and standard
library stuff)
Ad hominem.
For the record, I am the author of the statistics module in Python 3.4, and
Terry Reedy is the very active maintainer of IDLE. If I have missed anyone,
my apologies. So, yes, there are core developers here.

(Although not any of the senior core devs, as far as I know.)

I don't know what the definition of "senior core dev" would be.
Checking the Experts List [1] shows you and Terry both, as does the
list of committers [2] (and it has me as well, although that's because
I wear a PEP Editor hat, so I don't count as even a non-senior core
dev). Is there an "inner circle" of people Guido trusts more than
"just ordinary core devs"? I rather suspect not, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hacking on CPython without core dev status is actually pretty easy.
I've done it. (Added a "while ... as name:" syntax, just to see how
hard it would be. Conclusion: It's not hard at all.) If anything,
that's a _lower_ bar to clear than "idiomatic Python programmer",
because anyone can hack on C code without understanding the goals and
beauties of the Python language. So I'm really not sure what the
original complaint was about, nor how to answer it.

ChrisA

[1] https://docs.python.org/devguide/experts.html#experts
[2] https://hg.python.org/committers.txt