On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com>:
Personally, I like to use tab characters for indentation. You can
choose how many pixels or ems or ens or spaces the actual visual shift
is, and if I disagree with your choice, it won't affect anything. As
long as tabs are used _exclusively_, Python won't be bothered by it
either.
Your preferred, novel usage of TABs, which runs counter to the age-old
programming convention, has won enough supporters to make TABs unusable.

No harm done. TABs have been banished. They were a bad idea in the first
place.

I don't understand. How does that usage run counter to the old
conventions? A tab character, a press of the tab key, was a signal to
move to the next logical column - regardless of the exact width of a
column. It's also completely compatible with the stricter rule "a tab
is equivalent to eight spaces".

ChrisA