On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
I think my favourite is the guy who claims that the reason natural languages
all count from 1 is because the Romans failed to invent zero. (What about
languages that didn't derive from Latin, say, Chinese?) And that now that
we have zero, counting from it should be more natural. So if you give
somebody two apples, but no banana, and ask them to count their apples,
they would count "Zero, one... therefore I have two apples". And if you
then ask them to count their bananas, they would do what?

They would respond that there is a subtle difference between "Please
count your bananas" and "Please, Count... you're bananas".

ChrisA