Laurent Therond wrote:
So, your test revealed that StringIO converts to byte strings.
Does that mean:
- If the input string contains characters that cannot be encoded
in ASCII, bencode_rec will fail?
Yes, if your default encoding is ASCII.
Yet, if your locale specifies UTF-8 as the default encoding, it should
not fail, right?
True, provided you are actually creating UTF-8 strings... just sticking
in a character that has the 8th bit set doesn't mean the string is UTF-8
of course.
Hence, I conclude your test was made on a system that uses ASCII/ISO
8859-1 as its default encoding. Is that right?
Correct, Windows 98, sys.getdefaultencoding() returns 'ascii'.
c) It depends on the system locale/it depends on what the site module
specifies using setdefaultencoding(name)
Yes, as it always does if you are using Unicode but converting to byte strings
as it appears StringIO does.
Umm...not sure here...I think StringIO must behave differently
depending on your locale and depending on how you assigned the string.
It's always possible that StringIO takes locale into account in some
special way, but I suspect it does not. As for "how you assigned the string"
I'm not sure I understand what that might mean. How many ways do you know
to assign a string in Python?

-Peter

grouppython-list @
categoriespython