In article <btubno$bd8k6$1 at ID-46268.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Derek wrote:
.
.
.
I would not dismiss C++ (or even vanilla C) outright. I strongly
suggest starting in Python and looking to C and C++ when you have good
reason -- that is, when those languages will let you do something that
Python is less than than stellar at: large applications, system
software, performance-critical applications, embedded programming,
etc.
.
.
.
I contest the proposition that "Python is less than stellar at
large applications ...", and, in particular, that C++ is super-
ior there. I recognize you're not alone in that; for me, though,
large-scale programming is one of Python's *strengths*.

I don't have a good decision mechanism to propose. Trial by
ordeal (and most large-team projects fit in that category) seems
as apt as any.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net