On 2015-09-09 14:50, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
Well, have you read the answers given by Nick, me, and others earlier
in the thread? If so, what do you disagree with? You've only
addressed one point (that % is faster than {} for simple cases--and
your solution is just "make {} faster", which may not be possible
given that it's inherently more hookable than % and therefore
requires more function calls...). What about formatting headers for
ASCII wire protocols, sharing tables of format strings between
programming languages (e.g., for i18n), or any of the other reasons
people have brought up?

  This getting off on a tangent, but I don't see most of those as super
compelling. Any programming language can use whatever formatting scheme
it likes. Keeping %-substitutions around helps in sharing format
strings only with other languages that use exactly the same formatting
style. So it's not like % has any intrinsic gain; it just happens to
interoperate with some other particular stuff. That's nice, but I don't
think it makes sense to keep things in Python just so it can
interoperate in specific ways with specific other languages that use
less-readable syntax.

  To me the main advantage of {} is it's more readable. Readability is
relevant in any application. The other things you're mentioning seem to
be basically about making certain particular applications easier, and I
see that as less important. In other words, if to write a wire protocol
or share format strings you have to write your own functions to do stuff
in a more roundabout way instead of using a (or the!) built-in
formatting mechanism, I'm fine with that if it streamlines the built-in
formatting mechanism(s).

  (The main DISadvantage of {} so far is that its readability is limited
because you have to pass in all that stuff with the format call at the
end. I think if one of these string-interpolation PEPs settles down and
we get something like "I like {this} and {that}" --- where the names are
drawn directly from the enclosing scope without having to pass them in
--- that will be a huge win over both the existing {} formatting and the
% formatting.)

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no