On 9 September 2015 at 17:33, Ben Finney wrote:
Paul Moore <p.f.moore@gmail.com> writes:
On 5 September 2015 at 09:30, Nick Coghlan wrote:
Unfortunately, I've yet to convince the rest of PyPA (let alone the
community at large) that telling people to call "pip" directly is *bad
advice* (as it breaks in too many cases that beginners are going to
encounter), so it would be helpful if folks helping beginners on
python-list and python-tutor could provide feedback supporting that
perspective by filing an issue against
https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide
I would love to see "python -m pip" (or where the launcher is
appropriate, the shorter "py -m pip") be the canonical invocation used
in all documentation, discussion and advice on running pip.
Contrariwise, I would like to see ?pip? become the canonical invocation
used in all documentation, discussion, and advice; and if there are any
technical barriers to that least-surprising method, to see those
barriers addressed and removed.

We're doing that too, but it's a "teaching people to use the command
line for the first time is hard" problem and a "managing multiple
copies of a language runtime and ensuring independently named commands
are working against the right target environment" issue, moreso than a
language level one.

A potentially more fruitful path is likely to be making it so that
folks don't need to use the system shell at all, and can just work
entirely from the Python REPL.

The two main things folks can't do from the REPL at the moment are:

* install packages
* manage virtual environments

The idea of an "install()" command injected into the builtins from
site.py would cover the first.

The second couldn't be handled the way virtualenv does things, but it
*could* be handled through a tool like vex which creates new subshells
and runs commands in those rather than altering the current shell:

$ python3
Python 3.4.2 (default, Jul 9 2015, 17:24:30)
[GCC 5.1.1 20150618 (Red Hat 5.1.1-4)] on linux
import subprocess
subprocess.call(["vex", "nikola", "python"])
Python 2.7.10 (default, Jul 5 2015, 14:15:43)
print("Hello virtual environment!")
Hello virtual environment!

The "vex nikola python" call there:

1. Starts a new bash subshell
2. Activates my "nikola" virtual environment in that subshell
3. Launches Python within that venv (hence the jump over to a Python
2.7 process, since I keep forgetting to recreate it as Python 3).

Cheers,
Nick.