On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:03 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
Hmm. This looks like something that could confuse people no end. I
already see a lot of people use Ctrl-Z to get out of a program (often
because they've come from Windows, I think), and this would be yet
another way to get lost as to which of various Python environments
you're in. Is it safe to have Python exec to another process? That
way, there's no "outer" Python to be left behind, and it'd feel like a
transition rather than a nesting. ("Please note: Selecting a virtual
environment restarts Python.")
Using subprocess.call() to invoke vex was something I could do without
writing a single line of code outside the REPL. An actual PEP would
presumably propose something with a much nicer UX :)

Heh, fair enough! Mainly, though, I'm wondering whether there'd be any
risks to using os.exec* from the REPL - anything that would make it a
bad idea to even consider that approach.

ChrisA