On 9/7/2015 3:26 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Andrew Barnert writes:
Tcl/Tk, and Tkinter for all pre-installed Pythons but 2.3, have
been included with every OS X since they started pre-installing
2.5.
My mistake, it's only MacPorts where I don't have it. I used
MacPorts' all-lowercase spelling, which doesn't work in the system
Python. (The capitalized spelling doesn't work in MacPorts.)
And it works with all python.org installs for 10.6 or later, all
Homebrew default installs, standard source builds... Just about
anything besides MacPorts (which seems to want to build Tkinter
against its own Tcl/Tk instead of Apple's)

My impression is that MacParts builds Tkinter 8.6 instead of 8.5.

I recall having problems with trying to build and run against the
system Tcl/Tk in both source and MacPorts, but that was a *long* time
ago (2.6-ish). Trying it now, on my Mac OS X Yosemite system python
2.7.10, "root=Tkinter.Tk()" creates and displays a window, but doesn't
pop it up. In fact, "root.tkraise()" doesn't, either. Oops. On this
system, IDLE has the same problem with its initial window, and
furthermore complains that Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 is unstable.

Mac users who download the PSF Mac installer and want to use tkinter
should read
https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/
Before the redesign, there was a link to this from the download page,
but the redesign seems to have removed it.
The page mentions that there may be a window update problem with the
apple tk.

--
Terry Jan Reedy