On 9/2/2015 5:40 PM, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
On Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 14:34, Terry Reedy wrote:
I do not know of any
way to enable showing hidden files with Explorer. (If you know of one,
tell me.)
Didn't notice this on my first reply. Go into the Folder Options window,
go to the "View" tab, and you will see an option labeled "Show hidden
files, folders, and drives". This option is specific to a folder, there
is a button to apply it to all folders.

The Folder Options dialog box is available from the "Tools" menu in the
classic UI (until Windows XP or maybe Vista), and [still hidden there,
but more visible in] the "Organize" dropdown as "Folder and search
options".

Thanks. The latter might be the easiest.

My point stands that putting a dot in front of a filename shows _intent_
to have it hidden from ordinary users, since it has that effect on Unix,
and makes it no easier to find it on Unix than finding the AppData
folder is on Windows.

What I remember from 26 years ago is 'ls -a'. Still correct in a
console? (No idea how to do the same on GUIs.) This was part of any
Unix intro as one was expected to edit the shell configs to one's taste.

--
Terry Jan Reedy