On 9 September 2015 at 04:56, Brett Cannon wrote:
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 at 11:36 Terry Reedy wrote:
The approaches to module deprecation I have seen are:
1. Nothing changes to the deprecation process; you deprecate a module
and remove it in one to two releases
2. Deprecate the module but with no plans for removal until Python 2.7
reaches its EOL (I have been calling this Python 4)
For either 1 or 2, the 2.7 code should get a py3 warning.
I think that's redundant. People who need to run in both Python 2 and 3 will
see the warning under Python 3. I view Py3kWarning for things that would
pass silently otherwise or have an odd error message under Python 3. In this
case the message will be clear in Python 3 and thus not a problem.

I was going to make the same suggestion as Terry, but you're right,
seeing the warning under 3.x will suffice in these cases.

So +1 for simple deprecation without removal until after 2.7 enters
security fix only mode.

Cheers,
Nick.

grouppython-dev @