On 5 September 2015 at 16:46, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Marcus Smith wrote:
I don't have a specific problem with the specs living somewhere else
as well, I just don't think moving a lengthy document full of edge cases
from one location to another is going to make things better
If I may, I don't think that really captures Nick's idea.

I think it's about clearly distinguishing the following:

1) Current Specs (for metadata, versioning, pypi etc..)
2) Proposals to adjust or add to the Current Specs

We don't have a clear distinction right now. We just have a series of
PEPs, and it's work to figure out where the actual current spec is at, in
the noise of rationales and transition plans etc...
Speaking as someone who has been pretty confused in the past trying to
look up what the actual current rules are for something like version
numbers or metadata (is this the current PEP? oh wait this one's newer
-- oh but wait is the newer one still in development? or maybe
abandoned?, etc.): +1

We also have specs like Tarek's database of installed distributions
(https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/), where we kept the
"dist-info" parts, but not any of the API proposals.

*Existing* formats (like sdist) could also be specified there without
requiring a new PEP (modulo people's time to do the work, but at least
having a place for such specs to *go* would be a good first step).

Cheers,
Nick.