On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 05:50:16PM -0400, Carol Walter wrote:
Hello... and thank you for your help!

I can't be the only one to whom this has happened. I just set up
a new postgreSQL server on a Mac that is running OS 10.6.8. I was
using an image that I downloaded from EnterpriseDB. I ran the set
up and all was well, I thought, so I tried to start psql. It gave
me all the prompts and when I put in the user postgres, it prompted
for the password. When I put in the password, it told me that the
authentication failed. I know what I intended the password to be and
I have typed every permutation of that password I can think of and
nothing works. The only think that I can think is that I somehow "fat
fingered" the password and I don't have a ghost of a chance to figure
out what it is now. Is there a way that I can reset the password?
I had the same result when I tried to connect to the database using
pgAdmin.

Actually, I don't even know if Postgres started.
You can modify pg_hba.conf, change md5 to trust, bounce the server or do
pg_ctl reload, and you should be able to log in without a password and
change it.

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 12, '13 at 9:50p
activeAug 12, '13 at 10:19p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Carol Walter: 1 post Bruce Momjian: 1 post