Stephen Frost writes:
I think you're getting way too hung up on the fact that the proposed
auto.conf will be stored as a flat file. From your comments upthread,
I gather that you'd be rejoicing if it were a table.
I'd be happy if it was a table which managed an *independent* set of
parameters from those used to bootstrap the system, but no one seems to
like breaking up the options between "things that can be sanely modified
without other OS changes" and "things which require OS support".
I agree with Robert's comments upthread that if the new facility can't do
everything that can be done today by editing postgresql.conf, it's not
going to be adequate. So I'm not in favor of having two sets of
parameters. It's also not clear to me that we can make a reliable
distinction between parameters that can prevent a server restart vs those
that can't; or at least, the set of the latter will be much smaller than
one could wish.

    regards, tom lane