On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
there's a fairly generous but fixed-at-startup-time limit on how many
segments you can have. In practice I don't think this matters much,
but it was a sobering reminder that the main shared memory segment,
with all of its inflexibility, has important reliability properties
that are hard to replicate in more dynamic scenarios.
Why wouldn't it be possible to have the same arrangment for
shared_buffers, where you have more entires than you 'need' at startup
but which then allows you to add more shared segments later? I do see
that we would need an additional bit of indirection to handle that,
which might be too much overhead, but the concept seems possible. Isn't
that more-or-less how the kernel handles dynamic memory..?
Yeah, I think that something like would be possible, but the
synchronization would be tricky, and it wouldn't work at all with
System V shared memory or Windows shared memory, which apparently
can't be resized after creation. Also, it would rely on the system
administrator having a sensible setting for
max_on_the_fly_shared_buffers and only having the wrong setting for
initial_shared_buffers_until_i_change_it_later, which might not cover
a very high percentage of the cases that arise in practice.
Under the currently-proposed design, it can't be used to do any such
thing. It can only be used to modify some auto.conf file which lives
in $PGDATA. It's therefore no different from the ops perspective than
ALTER DATABASE or ALTER USER - except that it allows all settings to
be changed rather than only a subset.
Claiming that modifying a file *included from a file in /etc* doesn't
modify things under /etc is disingenuous, imv.
I think you're getting way too hung up on the fact that the proposed
auto.conf will be stored as a flat file. From your comments upthread,
I gather that you'd be rejoicing if it were a table. The only reason
we're not doing that is because of the possibility that something in
auto.conf might keep the server from starting. I don't think that's
gonna be very common now that we're mostly out from under the System V
shared memory limits, but we'll see. As you point out, it might also
be worth fixing: maybe we can find some way to arrange things so that
the server will always be able to start up regardless of how badly
messed-up auto.conf is... but that's a different patch.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company