On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 03:15:14PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
Agreed, but I think this is a much larger issue than ALTER SYSTEM SET.
Yeah, true.
I think changing behavior to first-seen would only add to confusion.
What we really need is a WARNING when a later postgresql.conf setting
overrides an earlier one, and ALTER SYSTEM SET's config file could
behave the same, so you would know right away when you were overriding
something in postgresql.conf that appeared earlier.
A warning would be nice. If only everyone read the log files. :/
I would expect ALTER SYSTEM SET to return a WARNING in such cases too.

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com