On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 09:04:00AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
For my part, I'd honestly rather have the first things found be what's
picked and later things be ignored. If you want it controlled by ALTER
SYSTEM, then don't set it in postgresql.conf. The problem with that is
there's no "bootstrap" mechanism without actually modifying such configs
or making the configs be in auto.conf to begin with, neither of which is
ideal, imv.

I really hate the idea that someone could configure 'X' in
postgresql.conf and because the auto.conf line is later in the file,
it's able to override the original setting. Does not strike me as
intuitive at all.
This is currently how include mechanism works in postgresql.conf,
changing that for this special case can be costly and moreover the
specs for this patch were layout from beginning that way.
Agreed. If you are worried about ALTER SYSTEM changing postgresql.conf
settings, you should move the include_auto line to the top of
postgresql.conf, but I don't think that should be the default.

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com