On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 06:18:39PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
But essentially we already have something like that by the combination
of system identifier and timeline id. Admittedly there's the weakness
that the timelineid can increase the same on several machines in the
cluster but that's a weakness we ought to fix sometime independent of
this.

So maybe the answer is to also expose the current timeline?

An alternative would be to have a pg_controldata_values() SRF...
It seems the value is more of a _cluster_ identifier than a system
identifier. We don't allow cross-major-version replication, so I am
confused why we can't rename it in 9.4.

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com